JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
plastic glandes mold
Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:37pm

See the following web page for a great idea:

http://jellostore.archway.com/cgi-bin/cornerstore.storefront/3ff0509306f76630271...

We have used one of these before and it works great.  Just make the jello a bit thick and it does not leak!

If that works, then cement should work even better.  Just spray the inside of the mold with Pam or some such, close it and pour in the cement mix.  At $3.50 plus shipping each, that's way cheaper than any mold I have found on the web and you get six stones at at time.  This is easier than the tennis ball method also

Yeah, I know they are egg shaped, but surely that won't matter all that much.  Just always load them the same way in the pouch and you will know how to adjust for thier particular way of flight.

This is on my list for warmer weather when the cement will set up right.

Jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: plastic glandes mold
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 2:36pm

Bingo!  Just what we're looking for.   I ordered 2 & figure to adjust density by mixing fine sand (heavy) with plaster of paris (light) to get the thrown mass right.   Will let you know how it works out.    Thanx!  mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 5:16pm

I got x2 of these for $7, and they didnt charge shipping!   Just made a single plaster-of-paris "egg" to test weight, ....which comes in right at 3oz.    I figger to mix in vermiculite or similar to get weight down by 1/2 or 3/4oz   The egg shape is pretty symmetrical end-to-end.   No "fat" end like a real egg.    FYI       mgreenfield

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2004 at 4:15pm

Don't reduce the weight.  You need more weight to control the gland, not less.  You might argue that you are not strong enough to sling heavier stones, but you would be wrong.

Go with concrete and see what you get.  Hopefully around 4 to 5 oz.   This would be about the max for general efficiency.  Try some 3 oz stones also.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 2:21am

Man this is an awsome idea. I might try it some day when i'm feeling bored. (i.e. in the very distant future Smiley

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)