Send Topic Print
Balearic slinger (Read 11310 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Re: Balearic slinger
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 4:14am

Ulrica,

You can read our classics in English or even in Swedish, just like you may have read the Quijote. I am sure you can find them in the libraries of your city. Come on!!. In fact, I would like you to recommend me some books from the swedish literature. Thank you.

Foner

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 5:16am

He he Foner Valenciá, that kingdom of Aragon was lost in the mists of the centuries. Now the genuine Aragoneses do not want to know nothing of the Catalans, neither you Valencian of them, nor the Balearic ones of any of the others, and what to say of the French or anothers Mediterraneans?. The Catalan language even has variations or dialects between the different mentioned regions. As many others countries of the old Europe, of complex History, not only another language as the catalan, but several others  like the Basque or Gallego follows alive and conserves their cultural and literary patrimony.
But well, we didn´t say  this was not the site for political-linguistic-historical considerations???  Angry Grin

Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 5:29am

Hondero,

I was just trying to summarize the history. I know that it is very dangerous, but you will recognize that there were no political considerations. I just made a description. Nevertheless, I would like to say that I think that (with all due respect) you made a dangerous generalization by saying that Catalans, Valencians and Balears don't want to know about each other. Some do and some don't, just like in every aspect of life. Of course, Catalan has dialects just like spanish and every other language, but it's still the same language (and richer thanks to that variety).

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 7:54am

Quote:
Ulrica,
 You can read our classics in English or even in Swedish, just like you may have read the Quijote. I am sure you can find them in the libraries of your city. Come on!!. In fact, I would like you to recommend me some books from the swedish literature. Thank you.
Foner

Thank you Foner!
I was more thinking about schoolbooks, not novels and romans.  And I´m not so good in swedisch classic books either.. It depends on what interest you have:
Childerns books; the ones Astrid Lindgren has been written
and for older people you have August Strindberg, Moa Martinsson and a bounch of others.

But then again we are "off Topic". 

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 3:34pm

Johnny,

If you need help posting pictures, just email them to me as attachments I'll email you back with how to embed them into your posts.

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 4:09pm

Thanks Chris
I'll let you know when I have some illustrations ready.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 7:04pm

Look closely at the sling in the pic.   Do you suppose a useable sling could be made as simply as this??

1/ Get a long piece of cord (how thick??)
2/ Double it
3/ Tie x4 simple overhand knots along it's doubled length:
     1 knot to create a retained cord finger loop
     2 knots to define the ends of a split "pouch"
     1 knot to provide a trigger cord grip, and keep
       the loose ends from flopping around.

Now THAT would be elegant design engineering!!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 7:45pm

Mgreenfield, of course that sling works very well. You have rediscovered what is called "knots sling", that is an  emergency sling to be done from a simple length of cord.
Congratulationˇˇ

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 9:17pm

OhMyGosh!, great minds running in the same channels, and all that! Grin      I shall try to make up a couple "modern" ones, and report the results.   Any material and construction recommendations?    Many thanks Sr. H!

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 5:28pm

Don´t worry Mg, I often re-invent many thigs too Grin..We the slingers are so creatives... The knots sling has many variants and I must say yours is almost new. By the way, I generally use a sling as simple as the knots sling, original from me and that can be made in five minutes, but that has the same performance as the best sling you can make in many hours Wink I call it "honda de esparadrapo" (adhesive tape sling  Grin) I´m sure you can nearly imagin it.

Hondero
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2004 at 11:53am by Hondero »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 6:56pm

Once I posted here the description of the way adjusting the sling lenght by the special knot. That one is universal and is excelent for quick making the cradle from single rope.

Here you can find the pictures which step by step show how make it. The other knots you can make as you like.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10606409...

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 4:52am

OK Yurekˇˇ  this is the solution I use in the knots sling. The three cords pouch add reliability to lodge the projectile. Other solution is to cut the cord in two halfs, overlaping the ends and knoting them in a conventional way. The only problem with knots slings are that the knots may obstruct the free release of missil and to induce deviations. Also that smooth projectils may slip out of the pouch by opening it with its weigh.

Hondero

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #27 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:48am

Yurek, your "sling from a single rope" design is so cool!  I never would have thought of anything like that.  You are such an amazing person, and I am really your fan many times over!

Jean B.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:57am

Yes, that sling inspired me too.
I like knots, so I´ve already tried to do that sling.

There is so many different models and versons..
I want to test them all, but if I did there should be no more time for slinging   Wink

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #29 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 4:59pm

Hondero,

I use that knot only for shortening the cords of the sling, and I have got an idea that it would be the nice cradle for stones. So I don't know if the knots are a big hitch for stones. But this way gives smaller knots than second one with overlaped ends, and doesn't require cutting the rope. I must try that too.

magnumslinger,

Thank you for that kind words. They are especially nice for me, since I'm your fan too. I like your posts, they are clever and interesting for me Smiley Thanks for the support!

Ulrica,

I'm glad that you like that solution, making that sling will not take too much time, so you will be able to sling more. Enjoy Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)