Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Imported Peruvian Slings! (Read 16914 times)
Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Imported Peruvian Slings!
Dec 24th, 2003 at 12:24am

Hey Everyone,

Man I just wrote out this whole topic, but when I went to post it, it got erased because I forgot to fill in the subject box! 

Ok, as many know, I've been trying to get a source for us to purchase Peruvian Split Cradle Slings.  Well I got one.  Daniel Samanez of www.andeanart.com has purchased some slings from a Peruvian slingmaker, and is now selling them wholesale.  They are less expensive than most of us probably expected- $3.25.  The style may be slightly more utilitarian than what some of us expected, but they appear to be very well made.  Here is a picture.

I like it.  Not the most beautiful sling I've ever seen, but a good quality herding sling, and a great price for the product.  The alpaca wool yarn was probably spun by the sling maker from raw fleece.  Not sure, but I think that's common.  And a sling like that takes hours to braid.  I'd say probably 20 hours of work.  I'm estimating from my own experience.  If these dudes are really good, maybe they could do it faster, but a man can only braid so fast and I'm not slow myself.  I'm amazed I was able to find a source for these things.  A beautiful piece of history and culture, besides being a fully functional sling.  At that price, most of us can afford to own a few of them, and this opportunity may not ever be around again.   

Here is the link to the page where they are for sale.   

http://www.andeanart.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=631&idCategory=59

Ok, but there's a slight catch.  Something I didn't expect.  Daniel let me know last week, that they have a minimum order at Andeanart.com.  They are a wholesaler, not a retailer.  I didn't quite let that one sink in until he told me  Let me quote him.

Quote:
It is a minimum of 10 slings in a total order of minimum $100.

If you want less than the $100 I can give you a quote for the order but it will be more expensive after shipping and customs paper work that has to be done no matter how much you order.

Best,

Daniel Samanez
AndeanArt
http://www.andeanart.com

Considering that fact, I want to use this thread as a place for us to express how much interest we have here.  That way we can determine how best to do business. 

It's probably best if someone purchases a bulk purchase for the whole group.  Anyone interested?  I'll do it if nobody else wants to.

If I buy bulk for the whole group, I want to determine our interest level first.  Otherwise I may end up stuck with 25 slings and be out $80. 

If there isn't much interest, I'll consider purchasing bulk and marking the price up a bit to make it worth my while to continue selling into the coming months.  If however, we have 30 slings worth of interest, I'll go ahead and charge everyone the wholesale price, plus shipping.  If 10 people, each want 3 slings, then we are in for business.  I want 2 or 3 of them myself, so I guess that leaves 28 for the rest of you to fill in.  I'll ship internationally, for those who live outside the US. 

Anyone else with any ideas or interest, go ahead.  I just want to get these out there and fulfill my end of the deal with Daniel.  As far as I know, this deal is the first ever made for bulk importation of Peruvian slings into the USA.  So does that make me a famous slinging dude or what?  Wink  So that's my selfish motive.  Someday you must all honor me for my good dead in The Official Halls Of Slingdom.  Other than that, Merry Christmas everyone, and to all a good night. 

Benjamin

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Imported Peruvian Slings!
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 9:39am

neat item!!   Put me down for $15 worth.    At least 1, but whatever I can get for that $$, incl shipping & handling.     Where do I send the check??   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 9:00pm

That should get you somewhere around 4 slings I think.

Ok 24 more slings left if I order a bulk quantity.  Merry Christmas.

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 4:23pm

Ben, I knew you'd come up with something for us! Grin  Put me down for four of them as well.  If we finagle (sp?) long enough, I'll be able to afford more, but for the moment, I'm in for four.  Let me know all the info, but especially, let me know if you're going to fall short of the goal.  Those things look fantastic!!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 10:56pm

Hello all,

Back from the snowy north. It will take me some time to catch up on all the posts!

Put me down for 5 slings at $3.25 plus s/h...

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 7:06pm

We're getting much closer.

I'll give it another week here to see what kind of interest we get, then I'll order.

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 12:16am

In speaking to a brother of mine, I'd like to speak for another 5 slings.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 1:33am

I think that comes to 17 slings including me.  I'll order here soon, even if I don't get more interest.  I'll take the loss if I have to.  I'm gulping and hoping all the slings are as nice as the one in the picture.  Otherwise I can't send you guys low quality products and I'll take the loss.  See aren't I a nice guy?  LOL.  I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

Anyone else interested?  I was hoping for more interest than this.
                                          Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 10:43am

Ben,

Count me in for three (3) of those beauties.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 4:36pm

Alright Jeff!

I think that's 20.  I'll go ahead and order here.  Maybe after work tonight.

Ben

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 10:59pm

Hey guys,

Quote:
If there isn't much interest, I'll consider purchasing bulk and marking the price up a bit to make it worth my while to continue selling into the coming months.  If however, we have 30 slings worth of interest, I'll go ahead and charge everyone the wholesale price, plus shipping.

I just went to order and found out that the shipping is $45!  I should have checked earlier, but I expected $20 at the most.  I decided to order anyway and let you guys decide.  I was going to order 31 slings but the shipping for that was $65!  I was hoping we might have more interest in the future, but that brought the individual price up to $6.50, and that's way too high.

Ok this is official.  The price for a sling is exactly $5.75 a piece at an order quantity of 20.  That includes the customs and shipping and all that jazz.  

Any order anyone makes will come to $5.75 per sling, plus $3.85 shipping to get it to you.  

If you live internationally, the shipping may or may not be slightly more.  Let's just say $4.00.  

If you ordered more than one sling, the shipping will be the same, and won't increase.

I just ordered the slings now.  I realize that the price is higher than we expected.  I won't hold you guys to your quantity you put above, since the price has gone up.  But I do request that you please be as generous to me as you can, since I set this deal up and am taking the risk.  I'll have 17 slings available for whoever wants them, as soon as they get to my door!  I'm excited!

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 9:19pm

$5.75?!?  That's it!  I'm going to buy myself a ticket, fly down to Peru, hop on a taxi, take a bus to a remote village, bribe a village person to make some slings, and...um...fine, I'll just pay the $5.75 you're asking! Wink

Hey Ben, the price increase hasn't deterred me in the least!  I'm really excited to see them!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 12:23am

Rob,

Awesome reply, thanks!  They should be on there way about now.  Unless Peruvian Post doesn't work weekends Smiley 

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 12:31am

The price still sounds good.  Count me in for however many I asked for earlier.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 4:15am

Well looks like I won't loose my small* fortune afterall.

Hey Jeff, you're gonna throw up?  So did you change your technique or what?? Wink

*Very, very small.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)