Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Projectile Shape (Read 24258 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Projectile Shape
Reply #45 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 12:39pm

Re the demoralizing buzz, .....yep, there's a lot to that.   I went to Jr. HighSchool in tuff town & for fun over lunch a cuple gangs would square off at opposite ends of the football practice field & throw rocks at each other.   Anyway, I had small sling even then & a lucky shot w a rough "buzzy" stone over the top of a charge from the other end would break up the charge instantly.    Kids knew how to have fun then, huh?   That was a long time ago.  A wonder none of us ever got killed!    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #46 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:48pm

While I agree that the noise can be demoralizing (I've heard them whip past my head many times), I do believe the sling was an effective weapon as well.  For example, the romans developed tongs to remove slingstones from wounded soldiers.  I'm confident that a sling in the right hands with the right ammo could be very deadly. 

Chris

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #47 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 11:03am

I tested my pink concrete ammo today, but with my first hit, the ammo smasch into hunderds of pieces... So itīs more for long shots like my daughter slinged. They landed soft in the snow. And was pretty easy to find.

Stones work so far best for me.

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #48 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 7:22pm

Urlica,

I'm sorry about your pink ammo Sad It was so... so... beatiful Cry Wink

Last Saturday I tested the plaster-sand-balls. I fit a proportion of the sand and plaster and water this way that I was able to form the balls by the hands, without the molds. They hardened very quickly and were dense enough. I used minimum of the plaster, only for getting the good cohesion. They flew like a quite good stones, but some smashed up durring the release. Getting the good proportion require some tries but it is pretty quick and cheap way.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)