Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The SUV of slings (Read 9641 times)
Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

The SUV of slings
Dec 6th, 2003 at 2:42pm

I'm looking to make a new sling that will be the ultimate of SUV, go-anywhere, do-anything, general purpose sling. Some features that need to be included would be -
Compact, for portability so you easily carry it in your pocket.
Pouch that can accept and effectively throw large and small stones.
Lines that are simple and maintenance-free and are not too heavy for small stones but are strong enough for heavier ammunition.
Overall high strength.
Long range capable, yet accurate at short range.

Now there may be no way to fuse all those characteristics into one package but I'm sure most of them could be included.

So the question is: What materials and how to construct it?

Braided lines? leather pouch? how to attach lines to pouch? etc......

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: The SUV of slings
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 9:03pm

Personally, I'd go for average length parachute cord lines, maybe about two and a half feet.  I'd go for a solid leather pouch, diamond shaped, about 5 inches wide and 3 inches deep.  That should accommodate almost anything and give you good range and accuracy.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 9:13pm

-Narrow, straight tapered, leather or heavy nylon pouch
-#72 nylon seine twine (very strong, light, workable and non stretch, can be dyed for camo effect)
-clips for interchaning different length cords
-no metal so it will pass the detectors at the airport (no, you did not hear me insinuate that slings should be used on an aircraft; but, one does not like to be far from one's sling)

All that said, this seems to be a moot question.  Literally every sling fits the bill.  I can throw long or short with any of my different length slings.  Yeah, the long ones go 500 feet, but so what, I could not hit dinner that far away.

Various weight stones can be thrown with almost any sling with practice.

In the end, it is practice that makes a sling an SUV, not an SUV sling that makes for all purposeness or high utilitarian-ness.

All our designs fit the bill in most ways (except maybe the black and white one I made, it really is a hoss.  I could throw a five pound stone, but not small ones very well)

Now, I just  got back from Wal-mart and was looking at some Spiderwire, the kevlar fishing line.  50 lb test is the size of 12 lb monofilament.  If I could do a 16 strand plait it would still be quite thin and the cords would bear 800 lbs.  They would be quite aerodynamic.  They could be likely to tangle though and maybe not so good.  This will take some looking into.

Let us inquire after Ben to tell us of the peruvian slingers and what they use.  Maybe some insight will be gained from them since they use slings more than we ever will.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 11:55pm

Great ideas! thanks for the replies Smiley

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 4:39pm

Oooh sorry I'm late, but better late than never aye?  So, I concur with the parachute cord, or at least nylon cord.  I would put it at about 28" long and give it a 6"x3" pouch, leather. 

I've found that to be easy to roll up into my jeans pocket, but able to handle just about anything I wanted to throw.  The leather does wear down after a month or two of heavy throwing, but that's slinging.

If you want something braided, check out the Jute slings here, www.walkingonoldground.com  Chris makes some pretty good compact slings.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 5:01pm

Good link.  I'll add that when I refresh the links page. 

Chris

IP Logged

bamaham93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 10:33pm

JeffH wrote on Dec 6th, 2003 at 9:13pm:
-Now, I just  got back from Wal-mart and was looking at some Spiderwire, the kevlar fishing line.  50 lb test is the size of 12 lb monofilament.  If I could do a 16 strand plait it would still be quite thin and the cords would bear 800 lbs.  They would be quite aerodynamic.  They could be likely to tangle though and maybe not so good.  This will take some looking into.
jeff <><

when you get into small(ish) lines, you get a whir.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 12:08am

My  pouches are leather and cut to 8" x 2".  The last one inch of both ends of the pouch are narrow (about a half inch wide) and are used to attach the cords via a rope-type whip wrapped around the leather after it is rolled around the cord.  The cord is knotted to keep it from pulling out of the whip.  Captain Paul has some good pictures of that cord attach method...  Anyway...  I've been using that  sling design for over fifty years.  It lends itself to simple cord replacements but they do require re-whipping.   Started using leather laces but leather went downhill in quality so switched to nylon "accessory cord" (sold by climbing gear stores in 2mm through XXmm - I like 3mm cord).  Climbing rope is especially developed to resist abrasion, have very high strength and minimal stretch.

I can reliably throw anything from as large as a softball down to a 1/2 ball bearing.  The leather is selected to accommodate a certain amount of stretch... after attaching the cords if I pull on the cords to tension the pouch between them the pouch forms a cup wrapping itself around whatever missile is being shot.  That same wrapping action takes place especially during the power portion of any throw.  This is the reason it can accommodate such such a wide range of missile sizes and shapes.

I used the design during the recent Sling Golf competition but it is a SUV design and not a special design for specific purpose... a smaller pouch and smaller cords works better for long range golf and very short cords and an even lighter pouch for very short stuff.   I cut my golf pouches too short and ended up using "my SUV" for everything except putting.  My putter I copied from C_A...   Smiley   C_A was whacking the Balearic target from the near range about every time using all different sizes of stones, a Captain Paul design and figure eight throw the day before he flew back home.  Paul's pouches are formed whereas I leave mine unformed and depend on the cord tension force to do any forming needed.    

Good luck on your quest for your version of a SUV sling!  ... there are probably several that will work...

George N

IP Logged

OrangeDuck

Annoying my Mom with Slings
since 9/6/07

San Fransisco Bay Area, U.S.A.
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 12:27am

I've got to say, my Aussieslinger pouck would definately constitute an SUV pouch. I've thrown massive stones to regular sized rocks to even a few attempts at bird shot. Heck at one point I stuck it on the end of a bamboo pole and used it as a staff sling! I've used it just about every day, and it is showing virtually no wear or tear after a couple of weeks of use. As length, it's about 31 inches (i'm 6' 1'') and I can hit a coke can somewhat reliably at close range, and I can hit wide-ish trees at longer range, so I definately think it's a perfect mix.

P.S. That was a pretty old topic you brought up, bamaham93- I saw it browsing through the older posts the other day and wondered why it was back. Still, a pretty interesting topic

OrangeDuck

orangeiguanaduck  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 8:26am

I'll go with the aussie pouch - primarily as it's the only one that shrugs off water and general wet without flinching. Even my alligator skin pouch (lol, that's right you're jealous ;-) get's a bit more floppy when damp.

So for a genuine suv of sling pouches you need synthetic pouch and hey you can't beat an aussie for genral purpose slinging :-)

I've never seen a sling that can't be folded/wrapped and shoved into a pocket. Possible the fabled chainmail sling might not squish up - but not even sure if anyone ever made one :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 1:05pm

By SUV of slings do you mean wasteful, excessive and inefficient? Just kidding, I was thinking that a pouch made of that ballistic nylon stuff (like a knife sheath is made of) stitched on a sewing machine with crazy synthetic strong thread would be pretty tough. Perhaps a couple metal eyelets with some paracord for release and retention. Aussie's slings are fine examples of portability and durability, one can learn alot simply by having a look at one.

IP Logged

OrangeDuck

Annoying my Mom with Slings
since 9/6/07

San Fransisco Bay Area, U.S.A.
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 5:45pm

After breezing through some of the older posts on this forum I came across a post which had a link to this: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=1;action=display;num=1060640990;start=7#... It's basically a rope with a pretty simple knot in the middle forming a pouch. With a timberline knot for the retention cord (basically an adjustable loop which wont slip unless you slide it. It's pretty easy to tie- google it) and a quick overhand knot which can easily be untied and retied for the release cord, you could easily have a sling of just about any length and with just about any sized pouch (the 'pouch' knot looks easily adjustable). Plus if you used the right thickness of rope, it can be used for small or large ammo. One of these day's I'll probably head down to home depot to grab some rope and make one.

Hope this helps

OrangeDuck

orangeiguanaduck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)