My new shepherd's bag (Read 8946 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
My new shepherd's bag
Nov 8th, 2003 at 12:08am

Well, I was stricken with the need to have a shepherd's bag like my good friend Ben.  This is how I got one:

A friend asked me to me to make him a small leather possibles bag for his muzzle-loader stuff.  He showed me an example and then pulled out the most beautifully simple suede counterpart to Ben's bag.  I knew right then this was the bag for me.

So, I borrowed the bag and made a pattern as close as possible.  I made a few minor changes to make it easier for me to fabricate.  Like my sling pouches, I use AutoCAD to draw the patterns, then I print them on applique film and stick them on the leather and cut out, punch the holes and sew.  While this does cut down on time, this baby has over 160 holes and takes over 10 feet of thread to sew up tight on the edges.  It took a while, but oh...

The pouch proper is 11 x 9 1/2 inches, and tapers slightly from bottom to top.  It is made from one piece of leather including the flap. The bottom is folded up and sewn on the edges.  The strap is made from the same piece of suede as the bag, is 1 1/2 inches wide, sewn onto the bag and has a double steel ring adjustment in the middle.  This will aid in adjusting for thickness of clothing, height of thrower, etc.

I am considering adding a rolled leather button to hold the flap down, though it is heavy enough for most activities.  The leather is about 4 oz type, split both sides.

Since I have enough leather for three more, I would be interested in selling them.  Please e-mail me if you are interested.

Jeff <><
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003 at 12:20am by JeffH »  

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: My new shepherd's bag
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2003 at 12:31am

Nice.  How many rocks can it hold?  Do you flip the lid back or open it up each time?

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2003 at 1:02am

Once when Rolls Royce was asked how much horse power their super cruiser cars had, they replied "adequate".

So, I guess my bag holds an "adequate" number of rocks.  Honestly, tho, I have not tried to see how many I can get in.

As for the flap, it can be done either way.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2003 at 4:03am

Great bag Jeff.  Much more than adequate  Wink  Where did you get the leather?  Looks like Chrome tan split.  Tuff stuff.  You should be able to pass that one down to the next 3 generations.  Looks better with age too. 

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2003 at 8:07am

I got the leather at our local Tandy shop.  Check them out at http://www.tandyleather.com/.

Great shop.  Leather is expensive, but it certainly does shape up into nice things like slings, bags, shoes and so on.

I don't know what type of leather it is. I forgot to even ask the weight, but I think it is about 4 oz.  Split both sides, as you noted.  The color is not so far from natural that if it gets a cut or fades in a spot it will be too noticable.  They have all sorts of colors though.

jeff <><
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003 at 3:24pm by JeffH »  

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2003 at 2:31pm

Great looking bag Jeff!! I can see that we are creating a whole new industry--slings and accesories

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2003 at 7:54pm

I am now in possession of four shepherd's bags as shown above, plus one slightly smaller possibles bag.  I made them this weekend.  A lot of work, but I the bags are great!

Anyone interested in taking one off my hands? e-mail me if yo are.

jeff <><

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 8:16am

Jeff

I like the shepherd's bag with the fringes and "button"

You should post them as well.

David

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2003 at 12:18am

Well, here they are:

The large bag is my new shepherd's bag.  I love this bag, great for holding all sorts of stuff.   I made four like this.  One for me and three others thinking I could sell them.

The smaller brown bag is a possibles bag size with a rolled leather button to hold the flap down.  It is a great size also.  It was made from the leftover piece from the other big bags.  If I had known how nice it would be, I would have made more like it instead of making three more large bags.

The small ones are some pouches I made for my children.  They are 5 x 4 1/2", and have belt loops on the back.   They, too, have rolled leather buttons and the frills make them look cool.  These small pouches are made from one piece of leather for the body and loops.  The frill and button are from another.  The leather swatches I have are just big enough to make the pouch and loops.  These pouches are just the right size for carrying one of my slings.

The body and flap of all these are made from one piece.  They fold at the bottom and are stitched along the edges.

Jeff <>< who likes to make stuff

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2003 at 1:59am

pretty flash for holding rocks.

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 11:32pm

How do you find the time to make this stuff lol i barely have time to make slings.  I may be able to buy one of these bags but i will have to talk to my money source (my dear mommy) I'll email you if i can and to see if u still have some.
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 2:41am

I strongly recommend one, because I do have one myself and I just love that one!!
Not only for stones when I sling but also when I need a bag fast and easy.

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)