Projectile Speed (Read 17478 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Projectile Speed
Nov 3rd, 2003 at 7:04pm

Surely one of us can find someone with a radar gun or some sort of measuring devise to see the speed of a projectile coming out of a sling. Unfortunately, baseball season is over. We have a minor league team here in Greenville and they have a booth at the stadium that you can pay a few bucks and throw some baseballs at a target that will gauge the speed. Maybe next year I will talk to the guy.

Does anyone know if a police radar gun could measure the speed of a slingstone? We have a State Trooper who brings his kids to our daycare. I am going to ask him about it. It would be nice to know what speed I was thowing at.

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Re: Projectile Speed
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 12:28am

hey david,
where bouts you at????
jack

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 2:11am

O. K., friends, try to follow me here:

Suspend a 100 lb weight of some sort.  It should hang from a fairly long rope.  Set up a table or platform behind it, back several feet.  Get a long round stick and make a holder on the table for it.

Put the stick on the table and hang it out so it touches the suspended weight.  Mark the stick with a line at the point where it enters the holder.  Or mark it with 1/10 ft marks and note which one is at the edge of the holder.

Weigh a stone as accurately as possible.  I would suggest using grams or grains and converting to ounces.

Sling the stone and hit the 100 lb weight.  Measure how far the stick moved into its holder.  Every foot of movement is 100 ft/lbs of energy.  Calculate backwards to find the speed.  You know the ft/lbs and the projectile weight, so this should be easy.

This might be a bit confusing, but it should work.  The only trouble is getting a target that won't absorb too much energy or cause the stone to bounce.  Wet sand might be the trick.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 2:47pm

Getting it to hit the target and transfer all it's energy is pretty tricky.  And eliminating factors like the friction in the rope is impossible. 

I know this is what they do for guns, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for slings.  I wanted to do something similar  year ago, but realized my aim was to poor. Smiley

A radar gun would be easiest.  I know the baseball ones would work.  The police ones might not be calibrated for anything that small. 

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 3:27pm

David,

You could also try with your digital camera in a manual mode or with preselection time of the shutter mode. Try to hit the moment just after the release. I know, it's not easy, is a bit like a lottery, but expriments with the DC cost nothnig. Maybe you will succeed to snap the trail of projectile. For example if you will set the shutter at 1/60 s and the trail will be 20" long, then the projectile velocity will be

v = 20 / (1/60) =20 * 60 = 1200"/s = 100 ft/s

It would be good to use a uniform and contrasting background, some wall or the sky, for example. Using of a tripod and a remote control (photographer's security) makes sense too. For the more precise trail measure you may put some scale close the release point.

I think this way of measure should be pretty precise.

Jurek
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2004 at 5:19pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 6:39pm

Wow!

You  guys sound more like rocket scientists than a bunch of dudes interested in the ancient sling. Thanks and no offense, but I'm with Chris--A speed gun will be easier for me.  Grin Grin

I will let you know what the Trooper says. Anyone see the movie "The Rookie" He stopped on the side of a road that had one of those radar signs that showed your speed as you passed. It may have been "Hollywood half truth" but it showed the speed of a baseball he threw???

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 7:18pm

Nemesis,

I am near Greeneville, SC--the north-western part of the state.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 7:41pm

Baseball season.  Next season, someone go out there and show those pitchers how to throw.  Maybe we'll get one of them interested.  If a Major League pitcher can pitch at 100 mph.  What speed can he sling a lead gland at?  Hmm.

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 12:22pm

I have used the sports device called SpeedChek. Not expensive. I believe it uses an IR or ultrasound method. You throw the projectile over the top of it so it measures release velocity. I hit the device once and busted it up, but it still works. Next time I'll try protecting it with something.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:42pm

Welcome Dan,

In your research and experience, how fast do you think projectiles can go? 

Chris

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 8:36pm

Chris,  I don't recall what my tosses measured, its been awhile. Also, I'm not a powerful slinger. Thom Richardson did some tests using a UK military weapons range. Unfortunately, those books are packed away right now. It was published in the Royal Armourie Yearbook.

added:  Found it!  Thom said that the average sling velocity was 31 m/s (69 mph). 

He also said that the almond-shaped lead traveled further than lead balls and outranged stones by about 50%.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2004 at 3:03pm by Dan_Bollinger »  

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:38am

Hey Siguy,

Any info here?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2008 at 1:22am

Dan_Bollinger wrote on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 8:36pm:
Chris,  I don't recall what my tosses measured, its been awhile. Also, I'm not a powerful slinger. Thom Richardson did some tests using a UK military weapons range. Unfortunately, those books are packed away right now. It was published in the Royal Armourie Yearbook.

added:  Found it!  Thom said that the average sling velocity was 31 m/s (69 mph).  

He also said that the almond-shaped lead traveled further than lead balls and outranged stones by about 50%.  

The easiest way of accurately measuring sling speed without any special equipment is by looking at the recorded sound wave with a program like "Audacity". Your laptop will probably have the sound recording facility inbuilt.

Sling at a target a few metres away. The "swish" sound of the release and the whack of the projectile hitting the target are very readily both heard and seen on the graph so the time interval is accurately known from the scale. Measure your slinging distance with a tape measure and work out the speed with your trusty calculator. Easy!!

BTW 31 m/s (or 69mph) is very slow; even my 14yo daughter easily exceeds that. Any of the experienced slingers on the forum will be doubling that or more. Baseball pitchers and cricket bowlers get 100+ mph speeds without the aid of a sling.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2008 at 9:59am

Aussie

I used that sound program you recommended to time an air pistol. The published muzzle velocity is 400 fps. I fired through two paper targets spaced 19feet apart, the farthest one at 10 m or about 33 feet. I used a tiny Sansa recording mp3 player located at the midpoint of the two targets. My measurement was 320fps, which seems reasonable.

tom

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:51am

u can use a digital camera to record your throw, time the stone from realese to hit, and find the distance of the throw.  the formula would be distance/time=feet/yards/meters per second

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)