Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Arrows (Read 3548 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Slinging Arrows
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 1:11pm

Slinging arrows was a major sport in Yorkshire years ago. I think the record was around 400 yards! All you need is an arrow and a leather thong about 16-20 inches long with a loop for the finger and a simple knot at the other end. Loop the knotted end around the shaft of the arrow about mid shaft, and hold the arrow near the point. I throw my arrows overhand. This is illustrated in the book,"The Crossbow". I think it is a Dover book. Check their website or Amazon.com. The arrow illustrated in the book is not an archery arrow, but a wooden shaft, large on one end and tapering on the other. No fletching. I think a simple dowel from the hardware store would work. Just plane it down to a taper.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 6:09pm

i posted a pic of the arrow whip i have been using at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primitive_weapons

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 5:09am

That arrow throwing biz sounds interesting.  Plus, I'm half Yorkshirese.  My dad is from Ilkley.  Lovely area.  I think I really will try it out.  But the shop that I used to buy any leather I absolutely needed has closed.  So I think I will try it with a wide piece of bark string or maybe nettle.  I know I said I am limiting my collection of weapons, and I am, but this sounds so simple I have to give it a go.
  Quote:
The first throwing weapon, after the proverbial rock, is believed to be a stone with a length of cord (probably sinew) secured around it. The stone was twirled by the cord's other end and released, much like your dart design. Very effective for taking game.
I'm sure throwing sticks were used before that, because they also require very little preparation.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 12:49pm

I was looking through the PrimitiveWays.com questions and answers, and came upon someone asking about arrow throwing.  Comes from "The Crossbow", as you say:
Quote:
1. Make a pencil mark around the arrow 16 inches from the head.
2. Take a piece of hard strong string, 1/16 " in diameter and 28 " long. Tie a double knot at 1/2" from one end of the string.
3. Hold the head of the arrow towards you in your left hand, and hitch the knot firmly around the pencil mark.
4. Next, and still holding the head of the arrow towards you in the left hand, twist the loose end of the string around the first joint of the first finger of the right hand, until the inside edge of this finger is 3" from the point of the arrow along its shaft. Keep the string tightly stretched form the finger to the knot. The knot will not slip if the string is kept taut.
5. Now grip the arrow close to its had between the thumb and second and third fingers of the right hand (the first finger keeping the string tight); and turn it from you in the direction of its intended flight.
6. Hold the arrow at arms length in front of you, then draw it back and with a powerful jerk of the arm, cast it forward and high as if throwing a stone, its line of flight being at an angle of about 45 degrees to the ground.
  From the site.  Tomorrow I will try it out.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 4:10pm

An old post, I hope you like me digging it up.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 8:13am

What you made Whipartist seems like  essentially a small ropedart, but of a different variety, where the rope is released with the dart, not attached to the body. This is totally constructable on a large scale. In fact, I have a galvanized steel nail and a 10 foot braided nylon rope that I use as a rope dart, and when I took the rope off my wrist and used it like you used the needle and thread, it went maybe 10-15 yards on a low power throw. On the topic of losing the dart and rope when thrown, many ancient weapons found in area around asia and many recreations today have bright red cloth (kind of like a streamer) attached at the back of the dart.  Smiley

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)