Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting (Read 35589 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Sling Hunting
Reply #150 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 8:04am

Australia is the only place in the world in which slings are not found amongst the natives, in any recordings or in the archaeological record..  The woomera is the primary hunting weapon (which is an atlatl - I can't sing the praises of this weapon any higher), along with the throwing stick.  In some areas, such as Arnhemland, the throwing stick is the main weapon, whereas in the central desert regions, it is the woomera.

IP Logged

lobohunter

Reply #151 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 10:39pm

well about larger game the artcle on this site metions deer the apache sling artcle
I have seen special ammo for deer razor balls basicly
to broadheads put back to back with a lead weight in the middle

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #152 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 8:11pm

i know this is and old topic but i was looking back and found this thread and brent said
Quote:
you know what can work really well if done right is if you fill a square piece of toilet paper with BB's an take the ends of the square and tape them together and then sling it.the toilet paper bursts and emits a spray of BB's.highly effective for small birds
Brent

well i tryed this but i used gravil instead of bb's but  it did'nt seem to have any power at all and i was wandering if it was just me? or have other people used it and had good resolts?
with the power i had i dout it would evan just hurt a squirrle or rabbit i dont evan think with my power i could stun a small bird

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #153 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 10:17pm

I have had trouble with b,b or small shot also but 15 or 20 50 cal musket balls wraped up in tissue paper seem to work well.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #154 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 10:39pm

I will contribute my experiences hunting enemies with non-lethal (purportedly) ammunition (mostly balls of tape and footbags/hackey-sacks)

As some of you may know, I go out with some friends and have "medieval" battles with mock weapons at a local campground.  It's a great deal of fun -- moreso than paintball for me, as I seem to lack ability in firearms combat.

Well, my role in the medieval recreation group has evolved from "co-founder" to "head slinger", as I am currently the sole provider of this wondrous weapon.  I have a protege or two, and we (the slingers) generally split off from our assault team to harass the enemy.

I'm a bit deflated in reporting I have never actually made an in-combat hit with a sling, although I've come remarkably close, especially with denser tape-balls.

That's not mentioning the time between games, though!  You see, just like with paintball, there is often downtime during which teams are formed and game rules are established.  During this time, I and the other slingers practice the art.  We often stand 20 or 30 yards from each other, exchanging one projectile, the thrower aiming to hit the non-thrower.  I've made several hits this way, or what would be hits if the target hadn't stepped aside.  I also zinged a tape-ball across the arm of a sitting swordsman, which unfortunately left a nasty bruise (I felt terrible)

The most fun, though, as I've said, are the duels.  The other popular ranged weapon in these medieval games is a Nerf bow that happens to be dead-accurate.  At about 20 yards, I and the bowman face each other, we call "GO!", and let fly.  Both times I've done this I've hit the bewildered archer with my sling before he could fire.

I'm not claiming to have significant skill, however.  If I had that, I'd be more useful during actual games!  Nevertheless, it's a tremendous rush to be targeting armed enemies for the good of your team.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #155 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:38am

wow sounds like fun. Me and my friends take our staff slings and fire at the ducks in the pond near his house. We have never hit one yet but one of these days were going to get one and have some supper.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #156 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 12:29am

What do you throw at them?  With a staff sling pouch as broad as some I've heard of, you could use regular sling stones as grapeshot, I'd think.  That would be nuts.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #157 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:06am

well we did use gravel onece or twice it fell in a rain all around the duck and he flew off Sad it did not even seem to affect it. so now i use this big pouch with big rock's and we hit all around that duck. Sorta looks like some WWII battle ship trying to snipe ouf a row boat with the big guns. Ha ha splashes every where but nothing hits.

about the pouch. i think it would be called soft leather. Its not real stiff but not real soft ether. hmm medium leather? Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

deadwoodsmen

Reply #158 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:00am

apache sling in articl section talks about hunting

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #159 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 7:28am

yea i read that and made a sling from there instuctions but i ain't that accurat lol so i tryed the shot gun aproche but it did'nt seem to have any power but i like lobohunters idea with the 50 caliber lead balls but would'nt 15 or 20 be kind of heavy?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #160 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:16am

Henry to me, it feel's about right I would guess 3 or four ounces
they do hit quite well sinking a good inch or to into my broad head target

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #161 - May 8th, 2006 at 2:28pm

just rereading a old thread and thought i would share

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man)