Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting (Read 35534 times)
Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Sling Hunting
Oct 28th, 2003 at 10:31pm

Hey I'm wondering if anyone has any strategic ideas on using slings to hunt?  A survival sort of thing.  I've been thinking about it.  I don't think it would be possible to hunt big game but birds are a potential target.  However, they are quite hard to hit, even if you're a dead shot.  Anyone have any experience or ideas?

I was thinking about how you would make a sling that could handle buckshot or something like that?  Maybe 10 or so fishing weights of about 1/2oz each per throw?  You would need a good pouch to hold them without letting them fly out.  If thrown into a flock of birds, it seems you could probably take some down with shot of that weight in a quantity of 10.  I'm not sure though.  I've heard of hunting birds with blowgun pellets made of clay.  They don't have much energy compared to the lead weights.  It's interesting to think about anyway.  You'd need a lot of weights or lead musket balls for each shot so this may not be so applicable to the survival situation.  Gravel is another option for surival situations.  Anyway, I'm just thinking. 
                                      Ben

IP Logged

The_Peltist
Ex Member

Re: Sling Hunting
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 10:17am

I've hunted rabbit with a sling, although I was never very successfull. I think maybe a cupped sling and some BB's would work well for birds. In a survival situation, small rocks or broken glass would work to. A note on technique, if you want to hunt develop a short wind up, the quicker you can get the shot off the more likely the target will be in the same place when the ammo gets there. Or at least the place you expected it, if your leading a moving target. If you have a sidearm technique its very easy to hunt with the sling in a ready position over your head while holding the pouch with your off hand. Looks kinda silly but your that much more prepared if you unexpectedly jump game. There are probally better ways but this is just what I've done in my expierences.

The Peltist

IP Logged

DAVID T

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 7:37pm

Ben,

I would love to hunt with a sling and I think someday I will get accurate enough. I do know that some birds do not move and even give you a half dozen or more shots before flying away. I have come within inches of 4-5 doves in the last month. Some I will bet took some gravel from the shatterring rock that hit right next to them.

Peltist---did the rabbits jump at the sound? I almost had a shot at a squirrel today. I was hoping to see its reaction but too many branches kept me from taking a shot.

IP Logged

David_T

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 7:38pm

Does this name work?

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 9:03pm

One of us slinging nuts needs to come up with a projectile that is the size of a concrete tennis ball but filled with BBs. At a certain distance, because of the high speed rotations, the projectile would fly open releasing the BBs. Kind of like a choke on a shot-gun which keeps them from spreading out too wide.???

IP Logged

The_Peltist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 10:21pm

Well its kinda interesting you should ask. Sometimes the rabbit would run, and others times they would'nt. If a rabbit is unaware of you when you start your swing they will simply perk up and by then its to late, granted your aim is true. Other times they would already be an alert state and bolt when I made sudden movements. If a rabbit does'nt think you see them they will remain motionless. I have been able to get very close before taking a shot this way. Sometimes a rabbit preferes stealth over running away. If they run its also important to realize that a rabbit will run within a 1-2 acre area, in a circle when startled. This is whats known as there territory. Eventually if one is patient enough and has the daylight he needs one can wait for a 2nd shot on a missed target. A hunter could also persue the rabbit, although accuracy fades dramatically on a moving target, much less running at the same time. When hunting rabbit its important to be very familar with its "warren" or territory. Scouting is a must, assuming you only hunt during rabbit season, to be fully aware of your targets habits in realtion to the time of day and weather conditions. Also I found that practicing with rabbit sized targets placed on the ground improved my overall consistency while hunting. Its been so long since I hunted much less slung a rock, man I miss it.

The Peltist.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 11:38pm

I've read that the sling was used to hunt big game, but I don't think that is particularly likely.  Small game is defiantly feasible.  In fact, all the cultures that still use slings, use it for small game hunting (although mainly children). 

Unless your a great shot, chances are you're not going to hit anything with a single shot.  Buckshot is defiantly the way to go, especially with birds.  I can pile in quite a lot of pebbles into my regular pouch, and they stay in pretty well.  If you wanted a bigger, more reliable capacity, I'd try making a pouched sling, like the one in the articles section. 

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 12:07am

I think the BB/buckshot idea is a bit weak.  Each pellet would not have enough energy to do the damage.

Turkey hunters use smallish shot at much higher velocities (approx 1,200 fps) and ONLY SHOOT FOR THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

Why?  Because even actual buckshot (much larger than allowed for bird hunting) will bounce off a turkey's feathers and not do enough damage to kill.  Yep, its true.  So, I don't believe that we could do the job with a sling even on small birds.

I suggest using larger stones and aiming for one bird, on the ground, at reasonable range.  Then, stopping by Kroger on the way home and picking up some meat cause you ain't gonna hit nothin' that small.  Grin

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 10:26pm

Great posts guys, thanks!  I guess a true survival situation would answer some of the questions forsure.  One thing I like about slings is that they are so easy to make.  If you give me a sheep I can make a sling.  If you give me a piece of buckskin, I can make a sling.  If you give me the right type of plant fiber, I can make a sling.  Awesome weapon.  Stones for ammo!  Ben

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2003 at 11:27pm

well u know slings are intended for the death or injury of humans, so why not try game the size of deer ???
  Lips Sealed
jack

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2003 at 11:38pm

Mostly because they are not legal hunting weapons for large game.

Other than that, I simply can't hit a target that small.  Angry

I can, however, throw a very long way.  Not as far as Yurek, but as soon as my arm heals, I will be closing in on him.

But, as my sidebar line once said, "don't stand behind me, I'm about to throw."

jeff <><  who hopes to someday hit what he intended to hit

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Kiwi

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 5:56am

Was getting my van fixed at the local garage and mentioned slings.The apprentice mechanic talked about his farming friend that used a sling to regularly kill possums in trees.The brush tailed oppossum is a huge major pest here in NZ.The mechanic's  friend used an under hand throw and rocks.The stones impact killed the possums every time.Apparently it took untold practise to get that good.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 2:54pm

It takes considerable practice from an early age to be that good.    It's always great to hear stories about people who are still using slings in ordinary life.

Chris

P.S. Kiwi, why not register for a full account on the forum?  Sounds like you've got some interesting stuff to share.

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 6:27pm

you know what can work really well if done right is if you fill a square piece of toilet paper with BB's an take the ends of the square and tape them together and then sling it.the toilet paper bursts and emits a spray of BB's.highly effective for small birds
Brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 7:28pm

Wow Brent,

That sounds like a great idea! I had mentioned something like that but never thought of TP. I am going to experiment with that. It should knock a small bird down though it may not kill it. A survival idea indeed! I always have TP when I backpack, and from now on I will always have my sling!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)