Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Great Website (Read 3136 times)
The_Peltist
Ex Member

Great Website
Oct 26th, 2003 at 9:58pm

Hi--

Just found this site, this place is neat. I made my first sling when I was about 14 and used it for a long time. I searched continually for websites and books on slings but, as it was some years ago I found very little. A few years ago I found the book "Sling for sport and survival" and thoughts of what I did for fun came rushing back. Its been many years since I've hurled a rock, but this site will change all that I think. Although I think I might go the golf ball route, seems to me I could pay for a bucket 'o' balls and sling balls at the range instead of hitting them. For simplicity I think I'll just make a cupped sling out of nylon (the articles section is great!) for golf balls and start going to the driving range after work occasionally. I wish I lived where I had some room to throw, but oh well. Thanks for the great site!

The Peltist Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2003 at 10:23pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Great Website
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 12:30am

Welcome to the site!

I think you'll find this site to be a great asset and a fun place to learn all sorts of new things about the sling.  We all have a common interest here, which makes for some great discussion.

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 9:18pm

The Peltist,

Welcome to our website!  You're gonna have a lot of fun here if you like slings!  We are the fanatics!  Wink Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 11:19pm

Ben is the fanatic,  I'm just irrationally devoted to throwing stuff!

Yes, indeed, you will get lots and lots and lots of good information here.  Stay tuned and read the articles as well.

jeff <>< who welcomes you

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

The_Peltist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 8:55am

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be checking back often.

The Peltist

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 4:36pm

Yeah I'm a fanatic, but this doesn't necessarily preclude rationality  Wink  I throw stones by faith.  Wind up and believe real hard!  It works pretty darn well.  I asked God a couple weeks ago to teach me to sling.  Since then I've been nailing the bullseye.  What can I say?  David had something going for him  Roll Eyes 

Ben- The fanatic.  This leads me back to my song which I will now recite here for all those poor slingers who don't have it playing in their heads incessantly.  Everyone join in in chorus ok Kiss

I was born for rock slingin
     I'll sling till I die
Till I sling the big rocks
     Way up in the sky
When the last rock is slung out
    It won't matter then
I'll live in the memory
    Of slingin that's been
Sling another rock a long way....
    Sling another rock a long way....

If I keep this behavior up, please somebody help me.  If only my alpaca yarn would get here!  They told me it's been backordered! 

Ben

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 5:02pm

Peltist: If you're going to be using golf balls as your ammunition mainstay I would suggest a long (40") lightweight sling with a pouch of about 7" x 3" (you can see mine under the Gallery section). This type of sling works well for the long range trajectories that golf balls seem to naturally take...

Instead of getting ripped off by the golf course and using their balls on their range (they probably wouldn't let you use your sling anyway. I know, I used to work at one Wink) Call around to your local Country Club Pro Shop and ask them if they have any old range balls they don't want anymore (they get rid of the stained, and chipped balls). If they do (they should.....) they'll only charge a few dollars for a whole box (300-400) of them (or if your lucky you'll get them free). Once you have obtained your projectiles, head over to a local school football, baseball field, or park and have it.....

MY $0.02 FWIW Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)