New Links (Read 5940 times)
Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
New Links
Oct 9th, 2003 at 5:52am

Quote:
I just recived the e-mail from one nice fellow. He is from Poland and his name is Tomek. He probably found me by Chris' forum. I wrote to him but I'm waiting for the replay. Tomek delivered me 5 links to websites about the slinging. They seem fantastic but they are in Spanish and in Russian language. A lots informations about the Balearic slingers.

www.vzmakh.ru\parabellum\n10_s6.htm
http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/
http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/honderos/honderos.htm
http://www.terra.es/personal/j.vega/honda.htm
http://infantry.kylt.ru/kuznu/prasha.htm

Jurek, who thanks Tomek. 
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2003, 2:50pm by Yurek »

Jurek, found these links and posted them in the topic

Help With Textual Resources.  I just wore myself out looking through them.  Lots of new material.  If you look at the other topic you'll find translations too.  It's on the second page.  I wanted to bring this here as a new topic so that it is brought to everyone's attention.  I missed them the first time I went through the topic!

If anyone wants to do their own translation 
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ will work well enough.

Thanks Jurek and Chris.  Now I must sleep before I fall off my chair.  Chris, I think these are worthy of the links section Wink   

Ben

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: New Links
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 2:11pm

I agree.  Earlier in the week I revised the textual resources, gallery and links page.  I hope to do similar with this weeks new stuff on the weekend if I get time.

If you look on the links page now, you'll see two new foreign pages with english translations.  I think it's great if we can bring the international feel and spirt to this truly international sport.

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 2:14pm

Ben, thanks for exhibiting these links. They are valuable and it would be pity if people overlook them Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 5:59pm

Here's the interesting fragment from:

http://www.concentric.net/~Ssbray/braygar.htm

" After Larry graduated from high school (in 1979), he married Mary Ellett from Loa, Wayne County, in 1980. They lived in Loa for a while, and in 1981 Larry made it into the Guinness Book of World Records for throwing a stone with a sling 1,434 ft. 2 inches, at Loa, Utah on Aug. 21, 1981. This type of sling is one of the most ancient weapons; it was used by shepherds for defense against wild animals and to help keep their sheep; it was also used for hunting and warfare, and of course is mentioned several times in the Bible such as when David killed Goliath. Garland had taught Larry to use a sling at a very young age, and he had become quite adept in both distance and accuracy, and knew that he could break the record. The old record was around 1000 feet, and it was set in 1970 in England. Larry broke the record in 1980 at the Wayne County fairgrounds in Loa, but the Guinness people wouldn't accept it that year because they said that he didn't have sufficient proof or documentation. So he broke the record again in 1981, and this time he had nearly all of the officials in the county there to watch and certify everything. They marked each stone just before it was thrown, and when the stone was picked up after it was thrown, they checked the mark to make sure it was the same stone, and then the surveyors measured the distance very accurately, and it all had to be photographed, certified, and notarized. It was quite a big event."

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2003 at 1:44am

Wow.. Now that is range!

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
likeRe: New Links
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 3:31pm

Quote:
the Guinness Book of World Records for throwing a stone with a sling 1,434 ft. 2 inches

Does someone of you guys know another web resources about that record? I'm interested in more details.

Jurek

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 11:08pm

I'm with Jurek.  I'm curious about these people and their records as well.  I suppose a major league baseball pitcher could really make a sling work with a little practice!  I have a note I wrote out a few years ago about the most recent (that I know of) record with a sling.  Here it is.

1,565ft, 4in. 
He used a 50in long sling with a 2.5oz dart. 
His name is David P. Engvall. 
He made the record at Baldwin Lake, CA
On September 13, 1992. 

That's is 521 yards 2 foot, 4 inches!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That's some range!!!!!!  That is so much range I can't believe it.  I found this figure in a late 90's Guiness book, a few years ago. 

My questions..., what type of sling did he use?  With 1/16" cable cords and aerodynamic split cradle and a needle point dart with fins on the back end or what?  Was the dart made out of uranium!?  Is this guy 7' tall and buff or what?  That is unbelievable range.  I don't think I can beat 200 yards with a lead weight.

I read about an earlier record done in the 70's in England I think.  He used a 7oz stone.  What kinda crazy slinger was he?  He must have been buff.  I can't handle a stone that big! Anyway.

I wonder if Guiness Book has additional information in their archives regarding these records?

Ben

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)