Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
message to Ben (Read 6789 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
message to Ben
Oct 9th, 2003 at 3:27am

Hi Ben, nice to know about you again... I received your mail but your server and mine seems to be enemies  and donīt comunicates. Imposible to answer you personally.  I finished the sling throwing handbook long time ago, and others writings about, as  lately mi sling activities are more literary than practical because a permanent shoulder lesion due to excess of exercice with the sling (and tennis).
Donīt know if I tell you about a sling page of mine, were you can see (always in spanish) an excerpt of the sling handbook and many other interest things such as a sling musseum, etc. The page URL is in my profile here.

Congratulations to all of you for the site and activity of the forum... there are so many things to talk about sling... unfortunally Iīve not many time and my english is not flowing and takes me much time to write (many glances to the dictionary)... I should need a traslater for be at your level of activity... but at least Iīll read and post from time to time...

Saludos,

Jesús Vega

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Re: message to Ben
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 4:34am

Jesus Vega,

Great to hear from you my friend!  Welcome to the slinging.org message forum!  I've been very excited to hear how you are doing.  I've put up some of your writings in the topic, Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona.  A lot of things that you wrote to answer my questions that were very helpful to me a few years ago. 

I'm very very sad to hear about your shoulder Sad  I have a war story too.  I recently permanently hurt my wrist making bullwhips.  My webpage is www.whipartist.com. ; I was able to rehab it with ice but not good enough for whip making.  I've been making slings though.  Look in the picture gallery or at my website and you'll see some pictures of slings I made. 

We have atleast one member who speaks Spanish. Archeorob: Rob.  He could translate your sling throwing handbook.  I think he may want a copy.  I know if we could get a copy translated we would all enjoy it.  He may be a good man for you to contact.

I didn't see your webpage link in your profile?  You can post it on here if you want.  I would like to see it.

Write on the board whenever you have time.  We all are very devoted to the sling and we appreciate having a veteran like you as a member. 

I am having a lot of sadness, hearing about your shoulder!  Are you certain it's a permanent injury?  www.ctcream.com helps sports injury inflammation a lot. And so do ice bags 4 times a day for 10 minutes at a time until healed.  I had trouble accepting my wrist injury, but it's hard to hear that you can't sling.  I know you were very good!  I've had a few long term sports injuries finally heal with ice, ctcream, and weight training.  If not, maybe with enough practice you could get your other arm good?  A good challenge anyway.   

I hope you enjoy our website a lot Jesus Vega.  Join in the discussion whenever you have time. 

Long Live The Sling,

Ben   

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 5:55am

Jesus Vega,

I did find your website just tonight!  And I'm up late viewing it.  Very nice.  I really enjoyed it a lot.  And you have the biggest picture gallery of slings I've ever seen.  I've been looking for new sling pictures on the internet for a long time.  Thank-you!  If you want I just used this translator to view your webpage.  You can use it to translate our board or to translate your own words to place on our board if you wish.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 9:07am

Ok Ben, now don't keep us in suspense!  were you able to find Jesus Vegas' website??  What's the URL?? ???

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 9:12am

Whoops, check that.  I've found it!  And all I have to say is ..woah momma  Shocked  That's a great site!  I'd never thought of looking for sites in other languages and have consequently missed this one until now.

The address is:

http://www.terra.es/personal/j.vega/aa-primitivas.htm

He's got sections for the bola, the sling, the atlatl, and the bow.  Sling = honda  and they have accompanying images.  Check it out!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 1:49pm

You were right, Ben, the URL in my profile was wrong and donīt display. Now is OK, but you clever guys have found out quickly my site. Iīve seen your peruvian slings... very fine work, indeed... One of this days Iīll give all of you a nice present: A peruvian site with thousands of beautiful archaeological precolumbian slings, found in graves and excavations(is a comun project Spain - Peru)... if you donīt get it before, jaja

Saludos, amigos

J.Vega

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 2:06pm

Mr. Vega, it a honor to have you on the site.  I look forward to the truly unique insight you can bring to this forum. 

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 2:39pm

Jesus Vega

Quote:
One of this days Iīll give all of you a nice present: A peruvian site with thousands of beautiful archaeological precolumbian slings, found in graves and excavations(is a comun project Spain - Peru)... if you donīt get it before, jaja

Thousands!!!  One of these days soon I hope??? Wink  I'm trying to get ideas for the next sling I'm making.  I'm drolling!  I just bought some Alpaca yarn, and can't wait till it comes. 

I really loved your sling museum.  Beautiful slings from all over the world.  The best collection on the internet!  the Balearic slings are awesome.  I like the way they make the split cradles so simply.

Ben 

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 3:14pm

Oooohhh!  Andean slings <drools>. 

Ben, if you're looking for some new designs, might I recommend Owen's book in the references page.  250 patterns.  It's good stuff, and if nothing else will get your mind moving to come up with other ones.

I'm jelous about the alpaca wool.  I've snagged some unspun from a farm, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.  But man is it soft!!! Shocked

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 7:18pm

Quote:
sports injuries finally heal with ice, ctcream, and weight training.

Was skimming and accidently the ICE and CTCCREAM blended and I read ICE CREAM, which of course might actually help...  Roll Eyes  Grin

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 7:25pm

Rob,

I just got that book about a month back.  I've really enjoyed it.  Hard to find!  I want to get my mind full of pictures of traditional slings so that I can enhance my work' look as much as possible.  I hope the Alpaca isn't too soft.  It comes in many natural undyed colors.  Beautiful stuff.  Looks Peruvian; which is what it is.   

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 9:25am

Wow, you've bought a copy!?  Now I'm envious.  Glad to see you've already been looking at it.  I've just checked it out from the library for VERY extended periods of time. Roll Eyes  One of these days I'll find a copy for sale, but you're right, they are rare!  The author has already been bugged about when he plans on doing a second edition (or atleast a second printing).

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 3:33pm

rob,

Did you ever get hold of that sling article from 1847?

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)