Patterns (Read 5597 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Patterns
Oct 6th, 2003 at 11:42pm

I don't remember where but recently someone mentioned that we should all post our patterns in dimensioned form.  Also in downloadable image form to be printed by others.

I like this idea a lot.   Chris was kind enough to post my article in which I have a pattern and images.   This would be a great format for the others.  Just think, with a little work, we might all have a fancy andean sling just like Ben's (whipartist). 

Like before, I want to offer my services to draw and dimension the patterns and possibly make them available as stick on patterns for the pouches.  These could be available for a slight cost plus postage.  They will fit into a regular letter envelope so postage is negligible.   David_T just made a sling using one of the patterns and I think he was pleased with the stick on template.

I think the downloadable patterns would be a great asset to this site.  Slining.org is certainly a storehouse of knowledge.  I think it would be great to reduce the barriers that new slingers face in design and fabrication of their slings.  Certainly a sling is a pouch and two strings in simple terms, but it can be more sophisticated than that.  Materials, design, assembly, release aids, these can all be different and fun to make.   I am contemplating a design which would be modular.  Pouch and cords as separate items which could be easily replaced so if one wears out the entire thing is not wasted.

What do ya'll think?  How about getting those patterns and instructions to Chris for addition to the site?

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Re: Patterns
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 1:56am

I think it's a great idea Jeff.  And a lot of fun!  The braided wool slings will be the exception.  I don't know how to describe how I made my pouch for that last sling.  I have a good pouch design I can post too.  I just never got around to it.  I'm known for my braided slings but I started out with a pouch made from kangaroo.  I'll provide the pattern if we get this up and running. 

Ben

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 4:09pm

Of all the articles we have on the site, we still don't have a super simple, down and dirty, standard sling.  It really should be the feature article on the site.  I've been wanting to make one for a while, but my free time is sparse and I've been concentrating on upgrading other parts of the site.  (BTW, the "other websites", "textual resources", and "gallery" pages have all been updated today).

I think offering a printable pouch design would be great.  To make sure it's sized correctly on any computer, I recommend we embed the image in a PDF (I can do this easily).  People can cut it out, and then draw around the cutout onto the leather, and then cut the leather out.  (This is what I do for all my slings). 

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 11:38pm

Chris,

The PDF file is a great idea.  I would also like to create a dimensioned drawing as a companion to the printable form.   This would aid in layout if the pattern is lost.

And of course,  I am still big on the stick on patterns.  You simply can't beat this!  Huge time saver.  And since it is drawn accurately, the pouch is cut symetrical in both axes.

As for the simple sling instruction idea.  I have something brewing in my mind, but have not tried it yet.  When I do, it may qualify as a candicate for the article.  This is in addition to the modular idea mentioned earlier.

Also, see my comments in Ben's thread with the long quotes.  I think a simple, PDF format manual would be great.

Jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 9:29pm

I like this. 

http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/fer_fones/fer_fona.htm

Ben

IP Logged

LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 9:50pm

"I recommend we embed the image in a PDF (I can do this easily).  People can cut it out, and then draw around the cutout onto the leather, and then cut the leather out.  (This is what I do for all my slings)."

This is exactly what I was thinking of when I was contemplating the pouch template idea.  A simple downloadable drawing (that would fit on a standard 8 x 11 print page) that could be cut out and used as a tracing pattern on leather.  I would recommend printing on cardstock or some other variety of thick paper (to ease the actual tracing).    

I personally would have no need for a stick on pattern, simply due to the way I trace on my material.  Regardless, that may be quite helpful for some!  Certainly, slipperiness when tracing can be quite an annoyance. 

Good ideas all.  This could be quite a site commodity.  And fairly simple to throw together if we can just get the pouch designs drawn out. 

Leon

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 10:37pm

At  1:1 my patterns fit the printable width of an american standard 8 1/2"x11" sheet.  (about 7.79 inches max, a little under the max.)  Depending on the size of the pattern, I can get 3 or 4 on an 8 1/2x11 sheet and 4 or 5 on an 8 1/2x14 sheet.  This is for the pouch I use when plaiting my cord.   The size pouch I use, however, is one of great genericness.  This means that in the same size range, it would be easy to design one for a PDF file that could be printed at 1:1 or scaled as desired.

Bar none, the stick on method is a thousand times better than tracing.  Tracing works great, but my way is very exact.

Now, as for the simple method, I suggest we all work on our own ideas and submit them to Chris.  Surely a sling could be made from readily accessible components in a short period of time.  We just need to come up with the instructions.  I have been thinking about this and a modular model that would have replaceable parts.

What about several simple methods using different components and techniques for retention and release nodes.  The materials available to us are different worldwide.  I believe it was Jurek who used the cotton cord (big venetian blind cord) for a sling.  This stuff might not be available in Timbuktu.

Or maybe we come up with the generic method and then make suggestions for alternatives to each material.  This might work better.  Make a list of materials that we know or think would work and maybe not work so well.

Anyway, I will be working on this and post something soon.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 12:03am

For a really simple sling, your materials should be pretty generic.  Leather for the pouch preferably, but any heavy cloth should do the trick.  As for cords, just about anything flexible could work.  Shoe Laces, rope, string, nylon cord, etc. 

I am all for a really simple article with a list of materials and a downloadable PDF for pouch design.  I do think the sticky option is a good idea.  If you want, I could provide a link so people can request some.  I'd forward requests to you, and you can handle it from there. 

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 12:28am

This is great, about the stickies that is.  I would need the pattern from the article so I can draw it.  I would also include on the pattern a nice reference to Slinging.org.  I would gladly work out a way to make this a doable transaction for those who are interested.

I am really excited about this project.  I am also excited about the idea of a simple manual for the novice slinger.  This has been on my mind a lot.  I have not had the time to devote to it like I want. 

The manual would have the simple Slinging.org patented, copyrighted, orginal design super duper ultra simple sling in it of course.  And maybe some other ideas and references, both web and print.

And wouldn't the soon to be finished Slinging.org logo look fantastic on the front.   Boy howdy, this would be great.

Chris,
I asked a few days ago for folks to begin sending me information on their slings, pouches in particular, so I could draw them up for the site.  They could be put into a variety of formats and made available for download and printing.  I would have them all for printing onto applique film as well.  Certainly this could be done for a minimal cost to offset some of the materials and postage. (David T made a sling with one of my stickies and was pleased with it, I believe.)

Maybe after the T-shirt, the simple sling and manual should be the next Slinging.org project.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 3:32pm

Quote:
Maybe after the T-shirt, the simple sling and manual should be the next Slinging.org project.

Sounds good.

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)