MOVIES! (Read 11893 times)
magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Re: MOVIES!
Reply #45 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:45pm

Thank you, Ulrica! Smiley  There were LOTS of places with cheap cameras for the tourists on Bali, and I'll look for a place with a scanner or web camera when I get there.  One way or the other, we'll figure out a way to get those pictures to submit for the gallery!  I could snail mail them if I have to (I wonder if the site has a snail mail address, etc.).

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:48pm

That sounds good. Chris do have a snailmail too.
How long will you stay at Bali then? And something else comes to my mind: Can you please search for the Guinnes record book. I´m sure many here want´s to see that sling-record. And the pic of that special Sling. Please!

Ulrica.. who has a scanner and a snailmailadress too.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #47 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:55pm

@Magnumslinger

Want to wish you a good jurney! I will go offline now and be little social with my family. You have to do so from time to time, you now Wink
So they recongnize you from day to day *smile*

Take care and have a great time on Bali!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 2:09am

You're always free to snailmail me pictures.  If you can get hold of a scanner, and figure out how to get them into the computer, just send them to my email (look under members link above).  I'll take care of the rest for you. 

Chris

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 12:49pm

Dear Chris and Ulrica,

Thank you so much, and I promise to keep looking hard for the Guinness book here, and on Java, if neccesary!  I'm having a great time here, so far, and it looks like all the nice, cool tourists and surfers are coming back again en masse from all over the world, and helping to keep Bali's spirit and economy alive, in defiance of you-know-who!  It's an exciting time to visit here now, not sad, like last year!Have a great day!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #50 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 11:23pm

The best movie I know of that features slinging is
The Clan of the Cave Bear
Daryl Hannah, Pamela Reed (1986).  I just seen it again the other day.

What are some other movies and is there one that is better?

This is David_T:  I moved this post to an old  post of the same topic so you can see what was already discussed.

Some how I lost the name of who made this post--- ???Sorry ???

IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #51 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 10:14am

Quote:
The best movie I know of that features slinging is
The Clan of the Cave Bear
Daryl Hannah, Pamela Reed (1986).  I just seen it again the other day.

What are some other movies and is there one that is better?

This is David_T:  I moved this post to an old  post of the same topic so you can see what was already discussed.

Some how I lost the name of who made this post--- ???Sorry ???

It's my post.  Sorry Roll Eyes and thanks David_T Wink
I don't usually have alot of time on the computer so I guess that I don't do all the searches I should.

A SLING IS SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #52 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:35pm

I know what you mean about time!

When I saw your post, I knew there was one with lots of posts about movies people have seen so I thought I would find it and put yours with it.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #53 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 12:44pm

Can we add to this by now?
(Not me, I do not watch movies  Cheesy)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #54 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 5:12pm

in the Film Alexander you get a brief glimps of some slingers skirmishing in the first battle against the Persians. At least one uses a greek overhand shot but whoever gave the late order to skirmish against the charging cavalry and chariots should have been executed.

There was another film I saw as a kid, dont remember its name, but there were British comandos attacking a German fortress (WWII) and they used cloth slings to lob grenades over the walls.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 9:52pm

what that scene in Alexander was supposed to show was him leading the Persian cavalry away from the main battle, then executing a quick turn. among the horses were hammippoi, skirmishers trained to run alongside horses for short distances, who broke off and harrassed the Persian cavalry so that they couldn't rejoin the battle immediately.

brilliant tactic, terrible movie.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #56 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 12:06pm

for a Hollywood movie Alexander was better than I expected from a historical accuracy point of view, better than Troy anyway.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #57 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 12:12pm

the armor in Alexander was great. i don't know who Stone hired, but they did a great job.

it was the acting that killed me. he had everyone doing 'over the top, angst ridden yelling' in every scene.

and they totally skipped the siege of Tyre. could have used lots of slingers in that scene for clearing battlements and such.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Saturniid56
Novicius

"Daddy, you sure like
things that throw."

Texas,USA
Reply #58 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:06pm

This is a pretty old movie starring Stewart Granger as Abraham's nephew, Lot.  The Isrealites were helping one tribe defend themselves against another tribe.  They trapped the agressors between canals of burning oil lit by flaming balls(of something)thrown from slings.  Think the movie was "Sodom and Gamorrah".
                                                                  -Mark

Make the piercing blow!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)