SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
MOVIES! (Read 11835 times)
Traveler

Re: MOVIES!
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 12:43pm

I know one movie which sling is used in.
It is very beatiful Slovak movie Thomas the Falconer (aka Falconer Thomas, aka Sokoliar Tomáš, aka Král sokolů).
It takes place in 15th century and it is about 14-years old falconer.
And he used sling several times.

For more info visit:
http://www.tivolifilm.hu/works/thomas_the_falconer/
or
www.branoholicek.sk

Cestovatel (Traveler)

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 3:58pm

Welcome Traveler.

Thanks for sharing. Stay on.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 12:13am

Welcome Cestovatel.

The links are in english, but I assume the movie isn't (subtitled probably).  Is it any good?  I might rent it if you recommend it.

Chris

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2003 at 5:55pm

I was at a friends house and he was babysitting little kids and they were watching "Swiss family robinson".It shows one of the characters using a sling.It's not very worthwhile but anyway.
Brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 4:11am

I had a relaxing Saturday.  Sat down and watched a Walker Texas Ranger rerun.  Guess what?  Walker uses a bandana as a sling, in a tight situation in a fight.  Cracked me up. 

We should add Chris's Discovery Channel program on David and Goliath to this list here too.

Ben

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #20 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 1:53pm

Thats on the discovery channel tonight at 7pm remember....

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 6:10pm

I'll be at some Christmas party, wishing I was home with the Discovery Channel  Sad

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 12:10am

Christmas party?  Are you russian orthodox?  Celebrating chinese new year?  Isn't it a bit late?  Tongue

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 3:48am

Chris,

Dostoevsky is my favorite novelist, and he was Russian Orthodox.  Does that count me in?  I've learned a lot from Russian Orthodox theology that I've studied, aswell.  But I'm not Russian Orthodox.  Just a Bible thumper who likes slings and stones.  Funny you ask though.  Because I do go to a Ukrainian church.  I'm not Ukrainian either.  They aren't Orthodox either.  And we didn't have a Christmas party tonight neither.  They are just plain old Bible thumpers like me.  Except for the language.  They translate for me, but I know a little Russian, so there you go.  I'm almost Orthodox, and almost Russian.  I'm almost Russian Orthodox.  But I'm not.  No this party was for work.  It was a Christmas survival party.  Among other things, I work in retail for extra money.  Retail's fun; I survived the party.  Now I'm back to slinging.

Venya (Translated: Ben)      

IP Logged

David Taylor

Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 2:25pm

Chris

Me thinks Ben had too much Russia Vodka--- he sounds a bit confused Grin Grin Just kidding Ben

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 4:05pm

Why are you on as a guest David?  I think you're a bit confused to.  I wrote it that way on purpose.  The vodka didn't hurt though....  Just kidding. 
                                                  Ben

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 2:32am

Don't forget "Crocodile Dundee II", where the hero uses a sling improvised from a dew rag bandana to sling a billiard ball-sized object overhand with no windup, about fifty feet to knock out a bad guy! ( A. and E. did a documentary called "Slings and Arrows" which I've been trying to get my hands on for a few years, but have been moving around too much.)  "The Fisher King" also showed a homeless mental patient knock out a bad guy by slinging a billiard ball-like thing (with a multiple windup and underhand release, I think!) in a stocking-like thing to knock out another bad guy.  One of my all time favourites, The Rock, in the movie "The Scorpion King" also showed an iron Bolos kind of weapon in use, slung overhead to take out a sentry.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 8:36am

Ben,

Every so often when I enter the site it has me as a guest. I couldn't remember my password or something so it was easier to just leave it as a guest rather than figure out how to log in.  Anyway, .... I really don't have a split personality Grin Angry

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 1:03am

Welcome magnumslinger,

I don't recall slings in any of those movies, so good memory on your part! 

Btw, the forum isn't usually this casual.  People seem to be getting really friendly all of a sudden.... 

Anyway, I look forward to your future posts.
Chris

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 3:42am

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your kind welcome.  I have been slinging for several years, and am always learning something new and exciting through my practice and study of slinging and its history.

Like most others here, I am interested in keeping our art alive, and improving my skill and knowledge of the subject.  In fact, after many attempts, I have finally designed what I believe to be the smallest, fastest, lightest, practical and powerful synthetic slings I've ever seen or used.  I can shatter hard rocks easily against boulders or other hard surfaces with it, and enjoy watching them explode dramatically as they hit with great speed and power, good acuracy, "anti-snag/hooking" resistance and pouch retention.   Of course, for any experienced slinger, the importance these qualities tend to speak for themselves.  As you can probably tell, I'm VERY happy with this sling design!
I nicknamed it my "ultra-light magnum" sling (hence my pseudonym Wink here).  They look deceptively simple and slight, almost flimsy when you first see or hold one, but after you put a few rocks through it, I think you'd be impressed with how tough, durable, effective, well-though-out and potentially accurate its design is.

As I am typing this message, I'm wearing a short one (secured by a wrist retention loop rather than a finger loop) that I've nicknamed my "deringer" rolled comfortably up the velcro-secured sleeve of my Eisenneger winter coat with a decent-sized rock rolled up in the pouch.  I've never been able to carry ANYTHING so useful so discretely and comfortably (literally) "up my sleeve" before.  If I use my non-throwing hand to place the release cords between the thumb and forefinger of my non-throwing hand, and pull the velcro tie strap to open my sleeve cuff, the sling will unroll with the weight of the rock and dangle ready to hurl at the nearest unsuspecting soda can, tree or boulder!  This makes the potential for everyday carry of this pretty cool tool a good addition to my wilderness survival kit.)

If you were interested, I could either tell you how to make one (although the materials may be a little hard to come across, depending on where you happen to live), or I could send you one of these to try out and see if you like the design, or not.  You have my email, I believe, so if you want, you can send me a private email message with a convenient P.O. box address or whatever, and  I will be glad to send you one or two to test, if you'd like me to.  Of course, being raised to be a gentleman (well, MOST of the time, at least! Grin), I'll take care of any postage charges, etc. (and I don't charge anything anyway, for making them for special students, teachers, fellow rock shooters that I like, etc., since I do okay teaching for a university in East Asia, and don't really need the money).  Thank you for running this great forum for keeping our ancient art  of slinging alive!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)