Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backyard Practice Idea (Read 9769 times)
Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Backyard Practice Idea
Sep 29th, 2003 at 3:16pm

Hello All,

Sadly I haven't gotten much practice lately.  Last night I was trying to figure out how to change that. 

I figure consistent daily practice is the key to getting good with a sling..., even if only 3 minutes a day.  And that is hard to achieve for a lot of us with limited space.  I'd like to throw around some ideas if anyone's interested and in the same situation as I am.  Unfortunately some of us just don't have the place to even make these ideas work.   

A few years back I made a sling that could handle tennis balls.  I went to tennis courts to practice slinging against the little signs hung on the caged sides of the court.  I got pretty good with tennis balls.  I also bought some good rocks from the local concrete company.  They let me pick and choose the ones I wanted.  I'd go out in a field and aim at trees from 50 yards.  But I had no place to practice close range accuracy with rocks.  And the rocks got lost in the weeds never to be found again. 

I got myself a big plastic tarp and strung it up in my backyard and slung my tennis balls at it.  My accuracy got pretty good with tennis balls but not a lot better with rocks.  The rocks would fly right through the tarp.  The tennis balls were too light to feel the same as rocks.  So more recently I've bought a horde of t-balls.  They are better still, but I believe the drag on the balls as I sling them makes them still not quite comparable to rocks.  Rocks can accelerate very fast in a sling cradle and it makes them a lot different from balls.  To get really good with rocks you need to sling rocks.  Having said that, t-balls and tennis balls are better than nothing.   

So anyway, I've decided I'm going to look for some sort of heavy cloth tarp or heavy netting to sling rocks into.  The cheap plastic tarps are worthless against rocks so I'll look around.  If anyone has any ideas on where to get such a tarp, let me know.  I also plan to paint a bunch of rocks neon orange so I won't loose them in the grass, for practice in my backyard range.

That's my idea.  Does anyone else have any news or ideas on how to improve our ability to practice in our modern world?  I've heard of secluded places in parks and concrete dumps and of course some of us own big places where we can sling on the privacy of our own land.  Any other creative ideas? 

I've been considering where to buy or how to make a heavy but small and soft ball.  Something with say a lead core but a soft rubber exterior.  Such a ball would be very valuable to us slingers because we wouldn't need special slings to be able to accomodate it, it would be comparable to rocks in weight and balistics, and would not cause danger or damage to objects it struck.  Got to go. 

Ben      

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Backyard Practice Idea
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2003 at 5:59pm

You could also use heavy canvas (like on some heavy-duty tents) to stop tennis balls or even rocks.  There is some special tarps/nets you can buy that stop arrows.  You see them all the time in indoor archery ranges.  If they can stop arrows, they could stop rocks. 

I know with archery and slinging, I like to hit several targets and make little games for my self.  I recommend making several "enemies" out of plywood or foam to shoot at.  For a nominal extra cost, you can make it really exciting.  I had some ply wood targets on 1-way hinges that fell over when hit by rocks.  Really really fun, and a good way to hone your skill. 

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2003 at 10:36pm

I was thinking the same thing! I wrote about it a while back. I thought of maybe buying some cheap indoor/out door carpet say 12'x12' ??? Then I could use and reuse my concrete ball ammo

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2003 at 10:37pm

Great ideas.  I looked at some golf ball netting and stuff like that.  I'll keep shopping to see what kinda prices I can find.  I think I'm gonna go with a big tarp, even if it costs me $50.  It's worth it. 

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2003 at 11:12pm

I like the carpet idea for the most part. But, it has some drawbacks.  First it will mold/mildew when it gets wet, and it will get wet because you won't take it down, too much trouble.  Second, a managable piece, say 15' x 15' or less, would not be large enouch to catch my randomly expelled projectiles.

On the concrete balls:
I intend to go to a local sports club and wrangle myself some used tennis balls (hopefully for free).  Then, I will mass produce the concrete balls, making a sizeable supply at one time.  This is really for another post so keep your eyes out.

Jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 12:32am

Size is a problem. I hope whipartist tests out the tarp idea. I would think the conctete would wear it out or tear it before too long thats why I was thinking indoor/outdoor carpet. Not the fabric stuff but the plastic or nylon "astro turf" type stuff you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. I am checking prices tomorrow. Maybe two runs of 12x12??

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
hazardousRe: Backyard Practice Idea
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 2:54am

David,

Tell me what you find out.  I'm a bit sick right now and don't have much enthusiasm for outdoor activity.  I saw that the tarps come in different weights.  For about $100 you can get some good netting for golf practice etc..., from some companies, but it gets pricy pretty quickly.  The tarps don't run cheap and there are some plastic types too.  Nobody says, "suitable for slingstone practice" and so it's hard to make an investment yet.  I've even seen some nice systems for golf that come complete with poles and net to set up anywhere you wish.  Suspend a paper plate and there you go, great target with a great backdrop for not so great a price.  As far as size goes, I think 12' by 12' ought to be pretty good.  I've been using 8' by 10' recently for t-balls and I rarely miss from about 10 to 15 yards.  I usually hit center.  I started out by standing close and I've moved back slowly but surely.  I have a big piece of private property behind my lot so I don't have to worry when I do miss.  Rocks can be hazardous to your neighbor's health.

Ben

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 11:30am

Check your local Army Surplus store, you might be able to find those thick cloth olive drab tarpaulins for a decent price, they're pretty tough  Shocked

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 4:58pm

Great idea.  Ben

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 9:35am

I checked on heavy-impact netting for driving ranges.(golf) Best price so far 25'x100' was $359. Can sell in smaller sizes. I'd like about half that--my son gets a little wild with some of his slings Grin A heavy gage galvanized pole 20' long is about 60-$80 The net would be to stop wild shots. I would use a large tarp or mat for the backer behind a target. This would take most of the pounding of the concrete balls.

I am gong to look some more but will soon set up about at least a 25x25 saftey netting. Any thoughts on this? or 2-3 that would like to split a 25'x100' net?

I am going down the street to throw some concrete ammo at the paint ball netting they have. I'll report on how it handles the concrete.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 11:20pm

Well, I went to my town's concrete company and they gave me some nice free rocks.  I'm thankful for that.  It helped me save a buck so I could buy a plastic heavy duty tarp.  My shots ripped right through it.  Ok, so I went out again and bought the heaviest canvas tarp, the 12oz in 9'by12'  Well 25% of my shots ripped right through it.  Ok now I'm sad.  I was having fun and then poof, right out the other side.  Man, that's some power.  I wasn't using sharp rocks.  The black and white sling works great btw.  I haven't gotten a chance to hardly use it since I made it.  It doesn't pick up dirt either, for those who like the black and white motif.  Ok I'm writing in unorganized fashion.  Must go and find something online that will work.  Ok here goes $50 atleast! 

Ben

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 11:41pm

Arg, tough luck.  I guess thats why these golf/arrow nets cost so much.  My only advice is to make sure the tarp is not taught.  You want the net to "suck" in when it gets hit to defuse the energy.  I'd try hanging it by a line (between two trees or something) and leaving the bottom dangling.  Im surprised canvas didn't hold up, but then of course I've fired through plywood before. 

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 12:11am

Quote:
I'd try hanging it by a line (between two trees or something) and leaving the bottom dangling.

Yeah that's what I did.  Still ripped right though!!  I couldn't believe it!!!  Well I'm impressed with my power.  It gave me a good opportunity to experiment with different firing system's power.  I was able to blow through on both vertical and horzontal slinging with about equal effort.   

I just went to http://www.sportnetting.com/ and bought their golf impact netting.  I bought the
10x10 KVX200 (Kevloy Gen 2) Practice Panel ($59.00)  Total                                          = $59.00
Grnd Ship / Handling                    = $9.00
Grand Total                                 = $68.00

they had some other stuff for about $89.00 and then some super stuff for $180 in the same 10' by 10' size.  So I bought the cheapest stuff trying to save a buck.  They said it's good so I am hoping that this won't be another money eater.  It's impact netting, it shouldn't be.  When it arrives I'll give it a good test and let everyone know if it works out.  It was by far the best deal I could find so we'll see.

Ben

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 9:00am

Alright, I'm to lazy to read all the previous posts (shame on me!) so it might have been brought up already but, what about constructing a lightweight sling and using those hollow, foam, or whiffle, practice golf balls? I've used 'em and they aren't perfect but they're good for practicing release angles. Kinda like the dry firing exercises that shooters do to improve their trigger pull and recoil management....

Just and idea....  Roll Eyes

Plus you have the added benefit of about $3 for plastic golf balls, or $60 for net backing  Wink

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 10:02am

Hey Ben,

I'm so gald you bought the golf netting. Now in can wait to see how it works for you before I buy the 50'x25' piece or what ever I deside on Grin Grin Skillbuilder Sport Equip. is the one I found to have good prices.

Keep us posted. And as Jeff would close..

David >>   who is impatiently waitng Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris)