Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backyard Practice Idea (Read 9775 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Backyard Practice Idea
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 9:42pm

I ran by the backside of the driving range. I belive it had the 7/8 heavy duty netting. One of three stones, the sharp pointed one, tore thru. The others bounced off. They also had a tightly knit nylon netting. Maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch gaps at most. Nothing went thru it. A sharp pionted stone did leave a crease as though it had stretched the netting a little.

I think the concrete balls I made would be stopped by either net. The spinning is what seems to do the damage. I will probably get the fine knit netting.

Let us know how your netting works out Ben.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Re: Backyard Practice Idea
Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 6:00pm

Well I've been a busy guy.  It's been awhile since I've gotten to spend any time here and it's good to be back.  The netting came.  I made some clay glands and put a waterproofer on them.  I've been using them and they won't cut through the net.  The net I got was very tuff, however the netting itself was more fine than I had hoped for.  I have found it to be effective though, when used in the following way.

Put a 12oz (or more) canvas tarp up 10' by 10' and then attach the net to it's backside.  The net isn't then subject to wear and tear, and it provides the added strength to the tarp to take your shots.  Any sharp rocks will possibly damage your tarp still, but blowouts should be greatly reduced or eliminated.  I have my plastic tarp, net, and canvas tarp, all up right now in layers.  I don't need both tarps up but why not?  I'm having a lot of fun everytime I get a chance now! 

So in short, if you do it my way you'll spend about $85 bucks for your portable backstop.  There may be better alternatives but my money is spent.

Ben

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man)