glandes (Read 11810 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: glandes
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 6:16pm

I will post the bag as soon as Chris gets it.  I have to rely on him to store my images since I don't have a web site.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2003 at 9:08am

Quote:
... also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

To answer one of your original questions:

Glandes is Latin and it the plural of glans. This word litterally means acorn although I think it could mean other nuts too.

If you look glans up in an English dictionary you will find it has a more anotomical meaning.

Glans came to mean bullet.

Although we are used to seeing lead bullets in the form of a prolate spheriod from Greek and Roman times, some bullets were much more crudely formed in a thumb mold - made by forming a hole in clay simply by pushing in a thumb. These bullets more closely resemble an acorn.

I suppose it is also possible that it is a reference to the shape of an almond, but I am not sure whether the meaning of glans could extend to that.

IP Logged

bamaham93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 10:50pm

nemesis_3003 wrote on Sep 26th, 2003 at 12:41am:
. also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

leaden acorn.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:30pm

Sounds about right, as a few other languages call acorns "glande" such as french or portugese.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

OrangeDuck

Annoying my Mom with Slings
since 9/6/07

San Fransisco Bay Area, U.S.A.
Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 12:26am

Quote:
Sounds about right, as a few other languages call acorns "glande" such as french or portugese.

I'll agree with you on the French point, but my mom who was an exchange student in Brazil for a year says acorn in portugese is bolota (though it took her a while...there aren't all that many acorns in Brazil)

A quick check with an online translator tells me the Latin word for acorn is balanus.

I Liked your theory, though  Grin

Orange Duck

orangeiguanaduck  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:29am

Oh I looked it up on the etymology section in dictionary.com

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:30pm

I seem to recall that most of the "real" sling projectiles recovered by archy-ologists (I can't spell) were spindle shaped.  There must have been a reason for that. Our ancestors were not idiots.  A group of humanoids who can create the ballista, trebuchet, "wild ass" catapult, and Greek fire knew something about something. Maybe a lot about everything.

A recent History Channel episode recorded the discovery of an ancient text apparently written by Archimedes (I think; he was the mathematician in Syracuse) which, when translated, showed that he was working around the edges of calculus.  I don't think that, at that time, "zero" was part of the numbering system, so negative numbers were right out.  Also, why did the Sumerians use a "base 60" numbering system?

There's so much to learn.

"We got a long way to go and a short time to get there...."  From "Smokey and the Bandit."

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:35pm

OrangeDuck wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 12:26am:
Quote:

I'll agree with you on the French point, but my mom who was an exchange student in Brazil for a year says acorn in portugese is bolota (though it took her a while...there aren't all that many acorns in Brazil)

A quick check with an online translator tells me the Latin word for acorn is balanus.

I Liked your theory, though  Grin

Orange Duck

But they got awful [[ sic ]] lot of coffee in Brazil.  Quoting an old Frank Sinatra song.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 6:20pm

>>>also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

Yes.  [i]Glans[/i] is Latin for "nut, acorn, or bullet (for a sling)"  [i]Glandis[/i] is the correct plural.  So it's safe to say one glans, two or more glandis.  If it matters, it's a feminine noun.   ::)

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:31pm

Yurek wrote on Nov 4th, 2003 at 3:41pm:
Yes he is, just with water. This is no Molotov coctail or nitroglycerin Wink

Jurek

You're missing a great opportunity to experiment with Greek fire.....

Trebuchet

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)