Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Other uses for your skills (Read 2309 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Other uses for your skills
Sep 23rd, 2003 at 9:38pm

Here are some other things I have made using some of  the same skills I use to do the leather work for the slings.

These are paper weights filled with lead shot and hacky sacks filled with a variety of things (olefin beads, leather beads, wood beads).  The hole size and spacing are the same as I use for the sling pouches.  My children love these things and they make for great gifts.  I made all the coordinators in my office a small turtle with contrasting shell and legs/heads.   The diameter of the small turtles and rounds is 2" and 3" for the large. (It takes 3 times the filling for the 3" than the 2")

Jeff <>< - who finds making things a great stress reliever

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Other uses for your skills
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2003 at 9:46pm

Cute turtles.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:49am

hey Jeff!

They look all neat!
Did you try to sling some of them?
Maybe the round, flat-thing flies well?

I really want to feel them!
Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 11:22am

I slung a hackysack once.... It hit a wall and exploded on the first throw. Grin

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 11:23am

OH!!

Maybe wasn´t such a good Idea, then Wink

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 4:15am

ahh, the art of footbag.  I spent many an hour over the years sewing leather footbags.  I learned the craft from a very interesting and ingenious fellow named Daniel Botkin who has a very cool website called the Footbag Peace Initiative http://www.valinet.com/~dbotkin/ - he uses footbag and sewing footbags as a way to mend walls between race and class, and work with at-risk kids.  Very Cool. 

By the way Jeff, I got the bull roarers in the mail yesterday - They are sweet.  I will email you some picts when I whittle out my own.  What kind of "printer" did you make the templates with?  Also, seeing as you make footbags - if you are interested, I can send you some templates of 8 panel and 32 panel footbags as well as a sweet star-tear drop pattern that is 12 panels.  They definitely take a lot more time to sew than 4 panels but the finished product is very satisfying.  What do you sew them with?  I use dentil floss  Smiley  I love sand-filled bags, though I haven't perfected sewing a tight enough seam to keep them from leaking little bits of sand here and there. 

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 4:51am

Quote:
I love sand-filled bags, though I haven't perfected sewing a tight enough seam to keep them from leaking little bits of sand here and there.  Barak

Hi Barak!
Can´t you sew a little sack for the sand to have in the bags? Then it wouldn´t leak so easily... maybe...

Ulrica

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:28pm

Barak,

I am not really a great footbag kicker.  No reason to spend the time making a really nice bag to just sit around.

As for the templates:  they are printed on a laser printer.  Its what they are printed on that makes them special.  Applique film used in drafting.  It is great stuff.  I have a supply I use for various things.  I make my leather bags and sling pouches with them, as well as bull roarers.

Let me know how it goes with the bull roarers.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 8:57am

well i think i may of found my safe nondeadly recreating ammo

and if nothing else i be a hackey sack would make a good choke for sling ammo.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 1:21pm

I just went to the footbag site that Barak suggested.  Wow.  Go footbag.  I think I'll sew myself a bag and get playing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)