Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
The Board Bow
Sep 19th, 2003 at 9:53pm

Several months ago, I came across this site:

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/buildingbowsfromboards.msnw

I made a board bow from Red Oak with a handle of walnut and maple laminated on.  It was fairly simple, and not overly time consuming.

Well, the grain was bad in the oak and it broke after about 150 shots.

I am just finished with board bow #2.  Hickory with walnut and maple handle.  Lot of fun to make.

I also made a quiver.  This was a fun project.  I saw one like this about 8 years ago at a bow shoot.  Really liked it so I decided to try to make one.  I used the leather swaches I have plus a piece of latigo for the strap.  The stick is maple with a light coat of mahogony stain.  I also made the arrows in the quiver.  This quiver is worn over the opposite shoulder from the norm.  The arrows are taken from the bottom of the quiver rather than the top.  This keeps your hand low.

I also shoot a recurve.  This is probably my favorite sport. Specifically target shooting, I'm not much of a hunter.

jeff <>< - who likes to throw stuff
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2003 at 10:51pm by JeffH »  

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: The Board Bow
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2003 at 12:53am

Pretty neat.  If I made one, I'd never fire it though.  I'd be too scared about it exploding splinters into my face. 

I shoot traditional recurve.  Great sport and a nice companion to my slinging activities.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 12:05am

Well,  my second board bow is complete as of today.  It is made with a hickory stave, with walnut and maple laminated on as a handle.  It pulls about 43#.

Shooting my heavy wooden arrows, it is not quite as accurate as I would like. Guess I will have to get some more arrows, eh!?

Jeff <>< - who really likes throwing sticks

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2003 at 11:34pm

Quick update for those interested in making a board bow.  I have just wrapped the handle in leather and added a leather pad to the arrow rest.

I raised the brace height to a little over 6 1/2" and it seems to be shooting quite a bit nicer now.  A little slow with my heavy arrows, but acceptable.  My arrows are around 530 grains, and it would be better to have them at about 430 grains.

So, if you are interested in making a board bow, go for it.  I have less than $8 in wood, and the cost of the string in the bow.  (Of course, the tools cost something, but that does not count.)  It is really quite straight forward and like slinging, shooting your own has its appeal.

Jeff <>< - who's dog wishes she was fast enough to catch the arrows

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2003 at 10:52pm

see pics i just added to original post

jeff <><

IP Logged

Martin_T.
Novicius

Sticks, and Stones, May
Break My Bones.....

Flint Hills of Kansas
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 10:17pm

Nice bow Jeff! I like your quiver design also. I use the back/over the shoulder system, and do well with that, but it is more cumbersome in brush, and requires more movement than your design would appear. Have you used your set up in any brushy conditions? I'm curious because I do archery hunt also, and snagging arrows in all the underbrush is a constant problem for me.  I have considered the plains Indian quiver design, but yours might be a better option.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 11:09pm

Martin,

I have not used the quiver in really heavy brush, just thin to moderate.  You could make one like mine that hade a taller top to keep the fletchings quiet.  This would also help keep the quiver from snagging.

I love this quiver design.  I saw it several years ago and thought I would make one of my own..  The stick is maple flooring cut down to size and stained with a light coat of mahogony stain.  The strap is latigo from Tandy Leather. I used brass scews from Tandy to attach it to the wood,  The other leather is from some swatches I have of furniture leather.  This leather is strong, but very supple.  So, I used exterior grade carpet tape and attached it to the straight middle section of some one liter plastic bottles.  I capped it off with the green, also taped on, and laced it for looks.  I put an extra piece of thick leather in the bottom, but would use some foam for broadheads.

The access to the arrows is great.  I have come to prefer it.

jeff <><

p.s. check your e-mail for a link to some quiver designs.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 7:35pm

Jeff:
Really nice bows. Thanks for the excellent links. Lots of good info to look over.  The biggest problem here is getting straight grained lumber.

Thanks for all

WalkingBird

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 2:32pm

Very nice looking bow.  I make a lot of different bows, using all greenwood collected from the local forest.  Greenwood is easier to carve and shape with my primitive tools (namely, a stone axe, a saw on my penknife, and a pen knife blade.)  I make many different designs, such as native american flatbows, of various designs, ancient Egyptian doubly convex bows, various recurves, and many simple segment bows.  My pet project at the moment is an Inuit cordage bow, using cotton, nylon or hemp string in place of sinew.  I will post pics soon.

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:45pm

cool

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:10pm

interesting looking bows, smart quiver - the only problem I can see with bows is that these days it's a fairly safe bet someone would call the police if I were to go wandering my local woods with a decent bow :-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 2:18pm

Man do I love my new avatar. Thats a very nice board bow. I have made two board bows of red oak, a flatbow that wasn't very great and an elb I an making.
My new avatar even fits with my screen name

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 4:27pm

i like it too Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 8:56pm

Yep. Took me forever to find a good avatar, and when I did it was on a dutch website. I have a good buddy on the buildabow website. I am going to make a 5/8 rule following english longbow out of chokecherry with a linen backing. Gonna be great. I have to get some titebond II though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)