Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
working it out... (Read 1056 times)
LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
working it out...
Sep 2nd, 2003 at 3:25pm

After much experimentation, I have finally found a comfortable and effective sling technique!

A couple of weeks ago I was faced with the dilemma of not having a spot to sling; I live right smack in the middle of a city and I often have to travel thirty minutes out to my parents rural home to practice.  After a bit of hiking and sneaking around in a state park nearby, I found a nice little meadow off the beaten trail.  At the center of the meadow is a very large aged oak tree.  With its wide trunk, I thought that it would make a perfect backdrop for my slinging.  And so it did.

For a target, I set up a crushed tin can on a log at the base of the tree.  As I have mentioned before, I’m interested in practicing short distance powerful sling throws as opposed to distance slinging.  Across the meadow there is a large field, and I admit to taking a few long distance throws out of curiosity.  With my lack of ammo, however, I soon had to go back to the meadow where it was easier to retrieve that which I threw. 

My sling technique prior to today’s revelation was the overhead counter clockwise release.  I would rotate my sling overhead until I felt comfortable, then release at my intended target.  The major problem that I had with this technique was consistency.  Eighty-percent of my throws would veer to the left of my target.  While they were landing in the woods in roughly the same spot, I was much aggravated because it was certainly not where I had intended for it to go. 

Over the past few weeks, I have experimented with different throws trying to gain more accuracy.  For long distance fairly accurate releases, I have found the overhand baseball throw quite useful.  Unfortunately, it just didn’t feel natural to me, and I gave up on it.  I decided early on that I wanted to work out the quarks in my overhead sling. 

With much practice today, I did just that.  Here is the technique I have found to give me the most accuracy and power.  I’ll try to provide some videos later as it is hard to explain without pictures. 

My stance is rather much like the basic martial arts readiness position:  Body facing east of my target with my feet at more or less a 45 degree angles.  My sling arm lies ready shaped much like an L, with pocket resting just above the ground.  I point my free left hand, balling up my fist, at the target (I’m not sure why, I just feel more balanced and it helps me focus).  When I’m ready, I begin to swing my sling, starting in the resting position it travels over my head counter clockwise. As I’m near completion of the first full rotation, I step forward with my right back foot towards my target.  With this step, I swing the sling around for the second (and last) rotation.  I have found that stepping forward and rotating my hips with the release will increase the momentum of the sling.  Now for the strange part:  at the end of the second rotation, I arc my sling arm towards the ground with kind of an under hand sling.  When my hand is facing palm up, and slightly to the right of my target, I release! 

Thus far, this technique has led too much more accurate throws.  I am able to hit the tin soda can fairly consistently at about 10 yards (this may not sound very like very far but a tin can is a pretty small thing from that distance). 

So that’s pretty much it.  It feels good to finally be hitting something. Grin  As I mentioned before, I’ll try to get it on video (which will probably make much more sense).

Happy slinging,

Leon    

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: working it out...
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2003 at 3:29pm

A tin can at 10 yards is pretty impressive!  Congrats!

If you can get a video of it, i'll take this post and the video and put it up as an article. 

CHris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2003 at 6:03pm

Congratulations Leon, the great accuracy!

Your method seems similar to my one, described here:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10605778...

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2003 at 8:21pm

Leon,

Your post about your technique is awesome.  That is good accuracy you are getting.  Please do post some video soon.  I've been slinging for years but like you, haven't been able to easily find a good place to practice.  I've had to resort to using t-balls or baseballs against a tarp, and while better than tennis balls, not the same as rocks.  I've never fully been content with any one technique, but your's sounds interesting.  I'm wondering how long the sling that your using is? 

Ben

IP Logged

LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2003 at 9:22pm

Hey Ben!  Welcome to the forums. 

Rest assured, a video is on the way.  I sent a small one to Chris today, and I am working on sending a larger more explanitive vid soon.

Aside from finding a site, I also have had trouble finding ammo.  Lucky for me, at the entrance portion to the state park that I mentioned above, there is an area where good slinging rocks were set on the side of a path to prevent erosian.  Before I head out to my "secret meadow" I often throw a bunch of those rocks in a duffle bag that I carry with me.  You should see some of the looks I get from passerbyes.  They really have no idea what I'm doing, and I think it rather scares them....hehe. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what the exact lenght of my sling is.  I think that the sling arms are around 36 or 37 inches long.  It rests just a few inches of the ground when my sling arm is perpendicular to the ground. 

Cheers,

Leon

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:01pm

It appears as though Leon is gone now, but does anyone know what happened to the footage?

Sorry, about rummaging through these old threads, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible. And with SO many new people coming, I suppose it's good to get some back into circulation for a while.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:57pm

Good Idea

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:30am

every time you bring up an old post i think someone is back. When i saw this one i thought wow leon and whipartist are back!

haha

keep bringing them up i dont mind It just weirds me out seeing posts from the older guys Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:30pm

I never saw any footage of the technique neither.  Reading the post I think it is an underhand with a jerking release.

Keep digging at the old posts, CanDo, they are worth bringing up again from time to time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)