Materials (Read 18785 times)
ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: Materials
Reply #30 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 11:04am

If I want to make a natural sling I prefer hemp. Otherwise it's almost all paracord.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #31 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 12:01pm

7 dollars?!?!?!?!?! darn the best deal I've ever gotten with good quality cord i liked was 1 dollar for 350 feet of ok quality jute with dyed in colors.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #32 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 1:38pm

I just spoke with my mother, an long-time knitter.  She says she got a lot of wool yarn laying about including a lot of bits and ends and cut-offs and odd colors.  I think there will be sling braiding for me this weekend Smiley
Then I can compare wool  with other materials.
timann

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #33 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 8:06pm

I prefer natural (or at least natural-looking) materials the most.
My favorite slings thus far are braided from hemp. I also like cotton, but cotton tends to have a bit of memory characteristics, thus why cotton isn't my favorite sling material. (Oddly enough, I find cotton twine far more abrasive than sisal when it comes to braiding.) Sisal is fun to mess with on big slings. You just gotta unkink the sling before use, since sisal is fairly notorious for remembering the twists it was subjected to last. (memory)

Acrylic yarn is the material I've been toying around with lately. It looks and feels like wool, but with added rot resistance. You just gotta make it extra tight and dense when you braid it, so it doesn't feel like trying to sling with a strip of foam.

The only material I'm not very fond of is jute, primarily because of how hairy it is. But who knows, maybe in the future I'll get over that and just run the jute sling over a fire or something to minimize the hairy factor. Hell, I may even love it after that. Tongue
*Obviously not trying to knock it, in case he starts to really like using jute in the future Grin*

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:12pm

Hairy it may by, but jute is very manageable.  I like it for making a sling like a Rockman, which requires long sections of string.  It seems to resist tangling better than string made of any other material with a similar diameter.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #35 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Hemp or parachute cord is my favorite. I like hemp over jute as it's a bit heavier and a bit more solid feeling.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #36 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Now I have made my first wool yarn sling.  OK it looks cool, but wool is definitely not my favotirte materials, it`s to soft and stretchy.  I`ll post a picture elsewhere.
In the hemp versus jute debate, I like both, jute is a little more comfortable, but it tend to shed buring braiding.
timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #37 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 3:49am

Update: while it is a bit annoying to braid, as it sometimes want to tangle and stick together, it can be made into a rather good and useful sling.

IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:52pm

Paleoarts wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:04pm:
my primary material is waxed flax, generally in conjuntion with leather or hide pouches, though occasionally i'll make an all flax woven sling. flax is an awesome material to work with. supple, yet strong with no stretch. i'll sometimes make all leather slings as well.

Those slings are BEAUTIFUL! I love the pockets, and the little bead on the down cord especially. I wanna try something like that for my next one. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)