Send Topic Print
Materials (Read 18729 times)
KB3GZW
Tiro

OOPS! I Hit A Bird!!!

Pennsylvania
Materials
Aug 29th, 2003 at 11:46am

What is best for a sling wool, nylon, sisal or hemp?

KB3GZW  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Materials
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 12:51am

I made my first sling out of sisal and it wasn't the ideal material.  It's very coarse and knotting it is troublesome.  It also starts to wear at your hands after a while.  Hemp is similar.  

Nylon is good, and certainly high strength.  Lots of the hand braided slings are made from wool, so i assume the material is pretty good.  

Chris

IP Logged

LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 2:55pm

Now lets not forget leather people.  IMHO there's not much that can beat the durability, beauty, and fresh minty smell of animal hide!   Grin Grin Grin

Leon

IP Logged

KB3GZW
Tiro

OOPS! I Hit A Bird!!!

Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 5:25pm

ok thanks wut do these slings look like that you get for putting in more than 10 dollars?

KB3GZW  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2003 at 10:21pm

If your talking about the thank-you sling for contributing to the site's upkeep, they have a leather pouch and military parachute cord.   

Chris

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2003 at 10:19pm

I use Nylon and love it!  Though I have to admit, I haven't used much else.  I'm kinda' slow that way.  When I find something I like, I stick with it.  I've used leather laces, but they didn't work all that well (they kept tangling...see other posts).  But then again, it didn't look half as cool as Leon's.  So, don't count me as dissing leather for slings.  I have used it for pouches though, and it is great! Grin

But as my plug for nylon goes, it's durable and doesn't really rip up your hands at all!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2003 at 12:10am

So far mine have all been made out of the same thing.

I use #18 seine twine for the cords. I do a round 4 plait, like a boyscout lanyard.  I plait in the retention loop and weave the strands along the outside edge of the pouch.  I made one with eight strands and just doubled up on the 4 plait.

The pouch is leather.  I have a small stock of swatches from leather furniture from a furniture store.  They were throwing them away and an aunt saved them.

I have ideas on some other styles and materials but have not yet acted on them.  The ones I make are sort of time consuming, but look good and have an integrated retention loop which works nicely.

The seine twine (mason's line at lowes etc.) comes in various colors and is nylon.  This is durable and relatively cheap.  The leather was free and I have a good supply for now.

I have sent Chris some pics.  Hopefully soon I will get them posted with his help.

Jeff - who slings for fun!

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2003 at 11:32pm

See my post showing pics of my slings and short explanation.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2003 at 11:05pm

Hey Jeff,

By the 92 viewers of your "Materials" post it looks like there are some more people out there looking to make some slings. Keep your head down and watch for flying stones!

David T

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2003 at 11:11pm

OOOPS!

I thought Jeff started the "Materials" post. Anyway, looks like you are all generating interest.

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 2:33am

How 'bout an old shoestring of good length? Sounds kinda tacky I know, but it works great, and costs next to nothing  8)

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 11:39am

yah,
i love old shoelaces all my slings are out of shoelaces and nylon straps Grin.Brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:24am

Generally, I am using Cotton, but also, very good materials are Wool and Polyacryl.

"Ja pierdolę" - tymi słowami rozpoczynam każdy dzień...

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:50am

I sometimes use hemp, and/or jute, IF I intend to make a braided sling.  Sometimes I use nylon or poly-whatewer cord, if what I got available is of suitable  size I tie  it on to a leather, safety belt or other kind of pouch, if it is to thin I simply braid it.

I do not consider one way or material better than the others, I simply us available or interesting materials in the best way .

I have made usable slings from sisal and tough grass, too, and think they can be made from almost anything available Wink
timann

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:04pm

my primary material is waxed flax, generally in conjuntion with leather or hide pouches, though occasionally i'll make an all flax woven sling. flax is an awesome material to work with. supple, yet strong with no stretch. i'll sometimes make all leather slings as well.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)