Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When size does matter! (Read 7891 times)
Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: When size does matter!
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 1:54pm

Yurek,
thanks for the speedy action.
About the knots, if they work for you, do not change.
The biggest advantage of these knots is that you know how to tie them and that they have proved reliable for you.
The biggest disadvantage of the knot in the picture is that it may be hard to untie. It is based on a slipped thumbknot and fixed with another thumb knot and the thumb knot is known to be hard to untie.
The tautline hitch can slip, although it is rather secure if tightened properly.

I would advice people to use a locked sheepshank instead. The end of the sheepshank forms a kind of sheetbend when locked. It is hard to find a locked sheepshank on the net so I made my own picture. There are loads sites with more explanetions and more ways to tie the sheepshank. Hunt one down and tie the sheepshank that way. Next, you pull the ends of the rope / cord / string / sling through the loops at the end of the knot. You need to make a fairly big loop to get the sling through the opening but you can tidy the knot easily. When you want to undo this knot, you only have to undo this last tuck and with a little shaking the knot will fall apart.
Do not sling with an un-locked sheepshank. If un-locked the sheepshank will get undone when not under tension, always when you do not expect it.

For an easy made eye, there are many knots you can use. I would go for a non slip loop. The best known of those is the bowline but there are many more. Surf the web for one of the sites with knots and you find enough sites with practical knots

(But I know that you, Yurek, know all this.)

Willeke

http://www.slinging.org/images/vanDerHam/locked_sheepshank

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 3:09pm

Nice!

The knot in the middle look like a "trumpet-knot" as I would say in swedish. Itīs used to shorten a roap, right?
But I didnīt know one could make it safer. I must try that.
I usually make tree loops on a roap and make the middle one goes through the other ones at the sides.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 3:28pm

That is the knot, the Dutch name also translates to trumpet-knot. The way you tie it is the fastest and the easiest to remember but a little harder to draw.
Instead of pulling the ends through you can also just pull a loop through and than pull the ends through that loop.
I am sure each variation has a name but I do not think you need those.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 5:55pm

Willeke,

Thank you for that informative post. You are right, the knot I posted can be difficult to untie. It is one of reasons why I don't use that for thin string. I "invented" the knot long time ago, as an "improvement" of the sheepshank. I'm sure I wasn't the first inventor of it Wink The way of locking you presented on your clear picture is really better, I tried it. I will use that way in other uses, for sure, but for sling cords I stay with my one, as you advice. There is the one reason - I am able to tie that much quicker. Need pull only the one free end of the cord through the loop. I'm sure you see it Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #19 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 11:28am

Yurek,
I guess the untying of the fixing knot is much harder than the slipknot you start with. If you are willing to change your knot a little bit, you might make a slipped thumb knot (as you do now) to start with and use the way to fix the other end with half a sheepshank.
Gives you the advantages of both knots.
The knot you get than is known as (part of) the carters knot or truckdrivers knot.

Willeke

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 3:25pm

Willeke,

I didn't think about it! It is a good compromise. I will go for it. Thank you Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)