Send Topic Print
Atlatl (Read 10741 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Atlatl
Reply #30 - May 9th, 2004 at 1:49am

I agree with you english, it is a formidable weapon.  Those atlatl dart/spears are pretty heavy and get some decent range if thrown correctly. 

Chris

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #31 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 12:23pm

just bringing this info back to the top

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 8:07pm

by the way ,english that particular post about you not understanding" is understandable?

and....

when the atlatl bob research team was first making atlatls, they didnt have a reason in the deepest pit in hell as to why the natives used atlatls and not have invented bows. they were basically using two by fours and broomsticks as their weapons.

This was dumb, they did not understand that darts had to flex, and that the sandstone on the natives atlatls were to bend the atlatl to store energy, and the dart to flex to store energy, and due to the natives stupidly obvious experimentation with this they invented a formula, although not written, was passed on through skilled artisans.
when the atlatl and the dart flexed, they used the right amount of weight on teh end of the atlatl and the right "timing" so the kinetic energy was released from both objects at the same time.
This efficient method was the prime reason why there are no mammoths and why spanish cuirasses in old grave sites are riddled with large holes and why, in some plaes, they did NOT even develop the bow, recurve, longbow, crossbow, et cetera.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #33 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 3:42am

now if the  Atlatl would just fit in your pocket

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #34 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 6:18am

i use a flexable dart and you seem to get more energy than you put into it like a spring

listen to old people

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 9:13am

Quote:
now if the  Atlatl would just fit in your pocket

Laugh, laugh if you must, but I made an atlat out of a popsicle stick one time with a little splinter of wood superglued on to the end for a hook, and threw very small darts made from chopsticks. I ended up being able to put a sharpened chopstick into the topsheet of my bed and have it pierce the first layer of fabric from across the room, which was about 20 feet. My friend about keeled over from laughter when he first saw it. He said, "Jack, there is now way in hell that is what I think it is!"

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #36 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 7:09pm

well thats pretty good. what do you guys use for the heads. I have been knapping heads but they break easy. and i cant make them out of steel but maybe normal arrow heads?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #37 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 8:15am

I just sharpen the ends of the dowels that I use for foreshafts in a pencil sharpener and leave them flat ended but tapered. They make for good, inexpensive field points, that for whatever reason, can pierce a fenceboard, but not vinyl house siding (yeah, in case you're wondering, I did manage to hit the house once.) and they cost all of 75 cents to replace if the foreshaft breaks, no real time or effort involved aside from sharpening them in a machine. for all intents and purposes, it's a pretty good system. If I were hunting with them though, I would use some sort of stone or steel broadhead point. If they break, you know, it happens. That's why the foreshaft is detachable.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 10:55am

ok thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:32pm

I personally use foreshafts on only a few of my darts.  I like them, but I have no real use for them.  My darts don't break often, and it takes more energy to make a hole in a shaft than to cut a notch.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #40 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 10:04am

I should introduce you then, to the beauty of the MammotHunter forshafting system! You don't need to cut any holes. Take a 1.3 metre long wooden dowel for the main shaft of the dart, and a 65 centimetre long length of dowel for the forshaft, and a 16-centimetre length of PVC pipe the same diametre of the dowel. (for instance, if using 3/8 inch dowel for the shaft, use a 3/8 inch diametre pipe). Sharpen one end of the foreshaft until it's sharp like a pencil, and leave the other end slightly tapered, which can be done with a penknife, and in a few minutes until it is just thin enough to fit snugly in the PVC length. Scrape a little of the PVC tube out at the ends, like how you would carve the hole in a cane dart for inserting the foreshaft, and put one end of the foreshaft in the end of the pvc pipe, making sure it fits tightly, and put the dart shaft in the other end. I've made my first darts this way, and even though it's not abo, the idea is, and I still have many of the first darts I ever made! The PVC allows the dart to be quite flexible and still be very durable. It proabbaly took longer to describe the method than the actual method itself takes in practice.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 12:53pm

Hmm... that's just not for me.  If you were using cane, that would be ok, but PVC?  Are you out of your mind?   Cheesy  Seriously, I find it harder work to go and buy some PVC tubes or indeed, buy anything, than to go and cut it down and make it that way.  It's also more primitive - but that's really just an extra point.  I just like to know that, if it really came to it, I could look after myself quite comfortably.  Indeed, I shall seek self sufficiency through primitivism - so totally primitive weaponry, skills, &c, is what I really like.  Not that it isn't a good idea - very resourceful.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #42 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 7:53am

Yes, I know what you mean by finding sufficiency through primitivism. The only reason I use wooden dowels and not cane for my darts is that all the cane in this area where I live is too small and weak to be used for darts, much less even arrows. I spent a good part of my childhood making makeshift bows and arrows out of wood and cane shafts when I was little and "hunting" the rabbits in this huge undeveloped lot across the street from my house. And I can't begin to tell you how many arrows splintered coming off of the bows, most of which were the bent dry sapling and shoestring type. Besides which, my parents would freak out if they knew I was building atlatl darts (Dad might already know, but I'm not sure. He does mention atlatl darts a lot. Mom started screaming at me about how crazy I was when I built my first atlatl by itself.) so having a large shipment of cane shafts delivered to the house would arouse a hell of a lot of suspicion. But going out and buying wooden dowels and PVC pipe from Home Depot is perfectly innocuous. Maybe when I get my own place though, I can build darts and atlatls primitively to my heart's content.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #43 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:23am

wow thats a reaction my mum told me of because i let my 4 yer s old hyperactive and accident prone cousin play with a spear in the garden i was trying to teach him to be responsable

listen to old people

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #44 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:32pm

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)