Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Atlatl (Read 10727 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Atlatl
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 10:35pm

It is attatched via a recessed hook to a bolt that runs through the shaft of the spear.   The lighter ski pole spears I have made have this bolt at their center of balance and need no rear fletching for flight stability as air is inducted through the shaft from the front just behind the point (which is attatched by special insert) at the wider end of the pole and compressed and expelled at the narrow end in such a way so as to produce a vortex of air at the rear which provides sufficient drag for completely stable flight.  I call this invention 'VectraJet
tm
' fletching and it should be coming to market by this fall for archers as well.  I have several prospective licensees.....hope it pans out as it is a great product that will make setup tuning a breeze!  The system uses special inserts for aluminum arrows that allow air to be inducted at the front of the arrow just behind the point of the arrow. It is then expelled out the back using a special insert that vectors the airflow quite efficiently to produce a spinning arrow shaft with noticeably reduced drag compared to the standard hunting setups in use today.  I have many other archery products.....enough to start an archery products corporation, but that is not my primary ambition at the moment..... Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:14pm

That is supercool Tech!
As you know, I make wooden bows and arrows. Keep me informed on your archery stuff!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 4:41am

I just think that that spear is too short.  All mine are huge, about six feet, as I say, with flights (your invention sounds good by the way, Tech).  And I can hit targets at about forty metres.  And you can see the flex in the shaft, as the wave passes through it.  I have tried smaller spears, but they tend to follow the atlatl for the whole rotation, or get way too much kickback, and end up spinning.  So how long is that spear?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 6:20am

English,  your lack of understanding is....well, understandable.  So,  you are saying I am a bit 'shortshafted'?   I accept your comment for what it is.....this condition is preferable to  being a bit 'shortsighted', no?    The 'wave' you see passing through your flexing shaft is nothing less than a waste of energy.  The effect is referred to in the archery community as "archer's paradox".   It is no secret that modern archery setups that make use of very stiff carbon or aluminum shafts flex very little and produce higher velocities. The energy/velocity losses in such a system are quite adequately verified by serious researchers.  You too, will see higher velocities with a stiffer shaft because...as you may come to realize someday, (if you get lucky Wink) it is not the size of the shaft that matters.........floppy is sloppy and the stiffer the better.   But hey, that's just me (and a bit of high school level physics).   To each his own.

Oh, and to answer your question......the spear pictured is 5'2" in total length and weighs 2.8lbs.  Believe it or not I can get a small metal dart 8" in total length, weighing in at a paltry 7.5oz. to fly even faster and farther!  Go figure!  Seriously.......Go figure.   8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #19 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 10:41am

Tech,
I too have one of those blades. Probably the best $11.50 I've spent. The sheath it came with was truly junk, but the blade is more than worth the price and time spent making a good sheath.
The sheath I made for mine is a modified plains style with a ceader liner. Also I wrapped P-cord around the socket/handle and stuffed the socket with the 3' tail from the wrap job. This provides a more confortable(and warmer in the winter) hilt as well as rope if it's needed.
Needless to say my next staff sling/walking stick will be tapered ,on the non-buissness end, to attach the blade...I botched the job on my first one.

Also I've been mulling over a composite atlatl. This does go against my primative nature when it comes to such things, but would be fun to experiment with.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 1:11pm

Quote:
English,  your lack of understanding is....well, understandable.  So,  you are saying I am a bit 'shortshafted'?   I accept your comment for what it is.....this condition is preferable to  being a bit 'shortsighted', no?    The 'wave' you see passing through your flexing shaft is nothing less than a waste of energy.  The effect is referred to in the archery community as "archer's paradox".   It is no secret that modern archery setups that make use of very stiff carbon or aluminum shafts flex very little and produce higher velocities. The energy/velocity losses in such a system are quite adequately verified by serious researchers.  You too, will see higher velocities with a stiffer shaft because...as you may come to realize someday, (if you get lucky ) it is not the size of the shaft that matters.........floppy is sloppy and the stiffer the better.   But hey, that's just me (and a bit of high school level physics).   To each his own.

Oh, and to answer your question......the spear pictured is 5'2" in total length and weighs 2.8lbs.  Believe it or not I can get a small metal dart 8" in total length, weighing in at a paltry 7.5oz. to fly even faster and farther!  Go figure!  Seriously.......Go figure.   
  Ok, basically, have you researched atlatls?  The famous atlatl man, known commonly as "atlatl Bob", who studied engineering at university and did a course on replicative studies (which is about rediscovering primitive skills) says that, and I think he might know, the wave passing through the shaft is merely the building up of energy, which is consequently released by the reactionary wave.  The "archer's paradox" is, in fact, when the arrow has to pass around the bow, and at various ranges, the arrow has to do different things.  It is all about correctly spining arrows; the right arrow for the right bow is important, lest the arrow not "round" the bow in the right way, throwing off accuracy massively, at all ranges.  Also, in an atlatl shaft, the flights are there to prevent the kickback inherent in atlatling, whereby the atlatl pushes the dart down at the back, and so the flights act as a neutrlaliser.  They are not simply there to act as stabilisers.
I recall some archaeologists trying to replicate, in the 1950s, the atlatls used by the aztecs against cortez and his conquistadors when they invaded in the fifteenth century, saying that when they tried it out, using short, heavy spears, that they could just about hit a bison at 30 paces once in every ten shots.  They said it felt like they were trying to throw broom handles with a piece of two by four.  Atlatl Bob, aforementioned, revolutionised atlatl technology; he looked at his replicative studies project with his engineering eye, and saw that a flexible shaft would work better.  There are numerous sites across America where atlatls have been found, with six foot long, beflighted reed shafts have been found also.  In Australasia, the aborigines use the woomera, a device which is basically an atlatl (all but in shape) and they use spears which are about six to nine feet long and incredibly flexible.  These two continents are the primary places where atlatls were used to bring home the bacon, and they both use flexible shafts.  Might tell you something.  Another fact; the atlatl as it is with flexible darts can shoot up to around 200 metres, and with accuracy at 100 metres in the right hands.  In Aztec Mexico, they used the atlatl, as I said, to kill conquistadors.  These men were armoured with the most extreme armour in the world; Spain was at the height of it's power, and it was known for it's fine steel.  The armour was cutting edge.  The aztecs used obsidian points on their spears.  The spears, which had flights and were flexible, penetrated the armour with ease.  It is said that the correctly tuned atlatl has at least the same power as a modern compound bow of sixty pound draw weight.  So, as you see, the atlatl is a seriously high power weapon, when used with a flexible dart.  But in America, the atlatls themselves were also flexible.  This added even more power, as modern tests and research shows.  Some archaeologists believe that the atlatl is one of the reasons for the extinction of most of the world's superbeasts, by which I mean, giant sloths, giant bison, mammoths, etc.  I believe nearly all the above information is on a number of websites, notably, www.atlatl.com and www.atlatl.net. ; Find out a little about it.  You might be surprised.  The atlatl rocks.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 1:16pm

Oh yeah, and stop it with the sexual innuendo. Grin

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 1:22pm

That Bushman blade is a real bargain.....that's for sure.  That handle does get a bit cold in the winter, that paracord sure is handy stuff!  I keep several for knockaround blades and you can't find tougher for the price!  The 'Assegai' from Cold Steel is a winner as well!  Good luck on the composite Atlatl,  I have found that attatching the Atlatl to the spear's balance point resolves several inherent difficulties with such a system.  It instantly became easier for me with only minor adjustments.  I know what you mean about 'betraying' one's connection with that which is primitive.   Any Native American can deeply relate to this concept.   It helps for me to realize that it is inborn in humans to be innovators to one degree or another....It is our ancesstors who did much with little and in so doing advanced their respective cultures as far as they were able....to the limits of their technical capabilities.    I truly respect the primitive lifestyle.....as it can readily be seen that technology can swiftly become an 'evil sideshow'.    I remember watching a public access show a while back and puzzling at the strange juxtaposition of a Native American community in which lived certain individuals in TeePees.....with T.V.s inside.  It seemed very odd to me then.  That is the crux of the issue it seems.  The primitive lifestyle got old after awhile.........Heck,  it still does.  

P.S.  The innate need for family to sit around the open campfire and tell their tales is just as strong today....only it has been replaced with an 'electronic campfire' with no true warmth to provide.....and the tales are shallow indeed!    I have no cable T.V. in my home.......guess I'll always be an old primitive at heart!
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2004 at 3:17pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 1:37pm

English, You'll forgive my impertinence dear boy.....You have my permission to run along and tell 'Atlatl Bob' that I am breaking the rules.   Cheesy

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 4:38pm

Okey doke.  If you want low power, little accuracy and a less range that is up to you. Grin

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 4:54pm

Ok.....the last word is yours my boy, which is what you were really after.  So be it....carry on young one.  Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #26 - May 4th, 2004 at 2:01pm

I hope that wasn't the last word!

I have some 32" arrows, heavy longbow war arrows, and I've just toyed with the idea of an atlatl for it. So I carved up an old arrow shaft to use and did some short flights in the garden. With just gentle casts the arrow flew far faster and further than I could get by throwing conventionally. I'm impressed - and think I may have just been sucked into the tiny atlatl community ...  Cheesy

My question is ... are there any 'arrow atlatls' out there, either historically, anthropologically or just back-garden engineering?

It seems like a very useful weapon to me, especially if your bow breaks.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #27 - May 4th, 2004 at 6:04pm

Just for a bit of reference, I recently read about the atlatl's accuracy in a book.  They say it's effective range was about 50m, with adequate accuracy for hunting at half that.  Other than in raw impact force, the sling seems like a comparable weapon.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004 at 10:58pm by Chris »  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - May 4th, 2004 at 10:18pm

Chris is right.  And the similarities conspire to produce all manner of orphan inspirations.....I remember once when I was 14, still jazzed about having 'discovered' the sling.  Way back then those metal tipped lawn darts were still enjoying their pre-litigious honeymoon with the public at large......being the sling crazed kid I was,  I met the opportunity head on.   After long and intense logistical machinations,  I simply tied a piece of yarn to a lawn dart and swiftly proceeded to perforate the neighbors roof several houses down.  It stuck in there but good!  And speaking of 'stuck' I won't bore you with the details of how a man sized work boot came to be 'stuck' somewhere's else.   Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #29 - May 8th, 2004 at 6:58am

I think it is probably possible to be relatively accurate at 50m, possible even to hunt with at that range (although of course, it would not be safe to do this.)  But if used in warfare, against massed ranks, where accuracy was not required, then it could probably be used at 75m to 100m.  It is astonishingly powerful; I use(d) sometimes a small-ish wooden shield as a target for bows and the arrows would generally make large holes in it (it was quite thin, maybe half a centimetre).  I used an atlatl on it, and the target was totally destroyed.  It ripped through it so much that it tore the target in half.  Do not underestimate this weapon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris)