Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Atlatl (Read 10735 times)
Cave_Man
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Atlatl
Aug 10th, 2003 at 5:39pm

Does anyone practice a wonderful instrument called an atlatl?  If so i would like to know some tricks of the trade.

IP Logged

thrower1970
Tiro

A hurling we will go!!!

Houston, Texas
Re: Atlatl
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 3:33pm

I don't have an atlatl yet, but I have some knowledge of them.  What I know I got from BPS Engineering at WWW.ATLATL.COM. ; The have good info, links, and sell what looks to be a well designed and constructed atlatl.  Hope that helps.

Ron

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 3:51pm

Yep, BPS does make a very nice atlatl.  You also might want to try Thunderbird atlatls (online) and www.walkingonoldground.com (where kris offers a great book on making atlatls and darts).

Looking through Primitive Skills Group's archives usually gives you some good tips too.  What can I say, the internet has a ton of cool stuff on atlatls.  But most of all, just get out and practice.  A well thrown dart is a thing of beauty.

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

BillB
Tiro

If it's outdoors....

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 1:25pm

You might also check out your local museums, especially if they have any native exhibits. For example, both the Boise museum (Boise, ID) and the Birds of Prey museum have at least one atlatl on display. The Boise museum didn't surprise me, but the Birds of Prey museum did. They have two there because the natives in the area used to hunt birds with them.

Which also goes to show that the use of the atlatl was really much more widespread than you'd think. So, check around your museums, ask the curators if they have any you can look at.

Bill B.

Bill B.

IP Logged

ehkahk
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2003 at 3:19pm

Ive been throwing darts for 2 years, and I also make my own for others.

Its really fun and addictive Smiley and all you really need to start is a live or dead branch with a cut off sideshoot for a spur, and a live or dead(but not weak) shoot/branch 4-9 feet long. You'll learn the basics from that.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 11:53am

I have been making atlatls a little while now, and there are loads of different types.  It depends what you want it for.  There are ones which fling short (3 feet) spears, which have a large diameter, and the most common nowadays, is the atlatl and dart, which uses a "dart" six feet long, with flights.  This relies on the principle of wave mechanics.  If you want real power, I suggest you go for the latter, with information on www.atlatl.com as suggested.  Look for the basket maker atlatl for the best.  This is the type I myself make, in use by native americans of the south west.  It is a very simple design, very flexible, but nicely decorated.  Check it out.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2004 at 5:43am by N/A »  

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 2:00pm

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 7:35am

There are, as I said, many types of atlatl that it is possible to make, but they can be split into many different basic types.  The first basic types are atlatl that can be used to shoot large "bore" shafts, as in, shorter thicker ones, like many archaeologists thought were used, until the early eighties.  Then there are the atlatls that are used to shoot small bore darts, essentially massive arrows, which were certainly used in the Americas and Australasia until very recently.  These can themselves be separated up.  There sturdy atlatls, very rigid, which are merely extensions of the arm.  Then there are flexible atlatls, which actually flex themselves, not just the dart.  These can also be separated up; there are essentially three types; male, which have a spur sticking above the shaft of the atlatl; female, which have only a large groove to hold the spear or dart; and the mixed type, which have both a groove and a spur.  Many atlatl found in North America have what are known as atlatl weights, which are just rocks attached to the underside of the atlatl shaft.  These stones come in many types also, and archaeologists are often weighing in with different reasons for their existence.  If you look on the internet you can find many pictures of atlatl weights, combined with different theories about what they are for.  These weights are most often found on flexible atlatls, and the most interesting theory comes from "Atlatl Bob" Perkins, of www.atlatl.com, who claims they are a tuning device, tuning the flex of the atlatl itself and the flex of the spear to achieve the maximum effect and range.  Atlatls are probably some of the easiest complex weapons to produce; one needn't wait for wood to season so much as for a bow, or find string, or worry about tillering and breaks.  An atlatl won't break easily, because, although a lot of stress is placed on it, it is sturdier than a bow, and the stress is less than for a bow.  Similarly, the atlatl won't wear out, whereas a bow will and start to follow the string.  The atlatl is also basically a wooden sling for throwing long arrows.  Look online, in google or msn, for aleut atlatls, aboriginal atlatls, woomeras, native american atlatls, aztec atlatls, and many other atlatl related things.   There is loads of information out there, because books on atlatls are difficult to produce and are not cost effective, whereas the internet is.  Just like it is for slings.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 1:38am

Ski poles make excellent Spears and atlatls.  Use one ski pole for the spear and attatch fletching to the wider end.  Shorten the other ski pole to your liking.  Remove the rubber hand grip and cut a hole in the other end and re-attatch in reverse for a good grip or leave as is, whichever you prefer.  Cut a notch in the end you have cut sufficient to allow widening and shaping of the newly created forked end and attatch a bolt through the spear at the balance point.  The forks on your ski pole atlatl should be shaped to fit the small, protruding portions of bolt on the spear in such a way as to facilitate a clean release.  Voila'!   You now have a very tough, inexpensive, powerful and remarkably easy to use throwing weapon.    Wink 8)

P.S.  The ski pole spear is very resilient and can be easily modified at the narrow end to accept a variety of modern archery broadheads.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 6:00am

That sounds really great!  But why waste a perfectly good ski pole?  Don't they cost quite a lot?  And are they flexible?  I think I will stick to my tried-and-tested, absolutely cost-free wooden darts, thank you very much. Grin
I recently asked on this forum about north-west coast bows, and I can say that I did find a bit of information.  But that was nothing compared to the amount of information I found about Washington/British Columbian/Alaska tribes' atlatls, or throwing boards, as they seem to prefer to call them.  They look easy to make, quite advanced, and very interesting.  Just go to any search engine and type in Tlingit Atlatl, or Aleut Atlatl.  There are some sites with loads of info on how to build them, with dimensions, the lot.  I have been experimenting, and hope to make a throwing board which I can post the picture of without the shame of it looking nothing the real thing.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 2:44pm

Good point,  why waste a perfectly good ski pole!  I guess that is because over here 'across the pond' they are thicker'n fleas on a swamp hound and can be had for next to nothing.   As for flexibility,  there are inherent energy losses with such a projectile, among other things.   The stiffness and durability provided by using ski poles or other stiff and light material is unparalleled in my view.  And as one who has tried all manner of traditional configurations.....it has proved cheap, available and vastly superior in obtainable accuracy, speed and distance.    I certainly don't wish to insult the obviously finer sensiblities of a young english gentleman and provide the preceeding information solely for those with ready access to 'affordable' ski poles (which have dutifully served out their useful life span in service to their swishing and swooshing owners).   BTW  English,  you are welcome very much as well!   Wink 8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 3:27pm

Well I guess another reason that I would not use ski poles is, as you say, that in England, there are hardly any shops selling skis or poles, because there are no mountains in England at all.  I do ski, and can ski well, but it is rare that I do.  Anyways, I still want to find out more about these crazy spears.  Surely they are too short to use as atlatl darts as well?  Most of the darts I have are around five feet, maybe six.  Long, flexible, with nice feathers for flights, and foreshaft points.  As they are supposed to be. Grin 
And as I said, I made today a Tlingit style atlatl.  It was easier than i expected, and I did it quickly, in less than an hour.  The darts are actually much shorter, less than four feet (yeah, I know what i said earlier), or rather, from the tip of my nose to the tip of my outstretched finger.  They have nice bulbous ends, too.  Very nice.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 4:18pm

I can see that you are a traditionalist who seeks to hold fast to the more primitive aspects of such a sport.   Bully for you.  Sincerely,  bully for you!   I can understand where you are coming from.  I think it is important to understand these aspects and intimately so.  If not strictly for posterity, then to be true to the intent of the originators of such a weapon.....survival.     Surely, it has already been established that I, converely, prefer to hold fast to any and all improvements that can reasonably be made.  Speaking as a pragmatist, by nature,  I have found it much more enjoyable to see just how proficient I can become with the materials readily available to me.    While I think it VERY prudent to have primitive survival skills,  I still prefer to start my fires with matches or a butane pocket lighter......this is not to say that I don't enjoy being able to reliably and faithfully emulate our forebearers,  only that I prefer to push my abilities to their utter extremes with such equipment as is reasonably available.   It's all about practical innovation,  a concept I employ judiciously......much like I envision the inventor of the atlatl did.   I will add a suffixial statement here -- You are to be commended for your capability of showing calculated preference regarding such esoteric topics as these for one so young.....especially these days.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 8:07pm

Went and dug out my old Bushman spear.   Hardrock Maple shaft and the Bushman spear head by Cold Steel.  One of the best bargains going for spear heads.....tough as nails and inexpensive to boot!  Here is my short range heavy spear shown with the inexpensive atlatl easily made from a ski pole:

http://www.ezimagecenter.us/image.cfmImageID=3398

Works great for me out to 35yrds or so.  The lighter spear I have used is made from a ski pole as well as the atlatl and it can be launched at much higher velocities and at much greater accuracy at a distance.  When I get time,  I will post my shuriken thrower....some of you may get a kick out of it.   It can fully penetrate one side of a 55 gallon drum or 3/4 inch treated CDX plywood and is quite accurate with an overhand throw and can be made to hit a 1' square target consistently from 25yrds at my current skill level.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 9:16pm

It looks like the atlatl is attached to the side of the spear by a nail or metal peg. Or does it hook to the rear of the spear?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)