Send Topic Print
Casting a Curve Ball! (Read 3189 times)
Ripcord
Tiro

Trebuchets, the "big boys"
sling!

Casting a Curve Ball!
Aug 10th, 2003 at 1:57am

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's been a long time since I did any hand slinging.  But my siege engine experience brought 'curve balls' to my attention and I wondered how you hand slingers delt with this effect.

For those who are un-aware of the situation:
When an object is cast (hurled, slung, shot, etc.) through the air, there are aerodynamic effects taking place.

In the case of a fairly uniform spherical object, which has spin, there is the "Magnus Effect" taking place.  In simple terms this is an unbalanced force that developes around the object, which can pull it of a purely ballistic path.

Think of a curve ball thrown in baseball, it's exactly the same thing taking place, for the same reasons.

For siege engines, there are many who attempted to maximize this effect for gaining greater distance. (This is done by increasing the back-spin rate of the object.)

Optimum launch angles for gaining maximum range is normally around 42 degrees above horizontal.  For pro's on the golf course though, the back-spin of the golf ball allows them to drive at much lower angles and the combination of the Magnus Effect combined with the low angle allows for a much greater range.

So, do any of you attempt to maximize your range through back-spin, or to control the amount of curve with side-spin?  Or do you just "let fly" with a lot of *oomph* behind it and cross your fingers?

IP Logged

thrower1970
Tiro

A hurling we will go!!!

Houston, Texas
Re: Casting a Curve Ball!
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 5:38pm

Because I use primarily balls as missles, the "Magnus Effect", or gearing effect as it is sometimes called, is a real issue.  Because this issue is a real problem for me in golf as well, I tend to compensate in both sports for the "slice" that I get.  Its just another factor in the calculation to me.

As to putting enough power behind it to minimize the effect, it works fine for short distances, but not for long.

Ron

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 2:08am

I do see this effect quite often because most of the rocks I fire are oddly shaped. 

Because of their odd aerodynamics, some rocks will curve off unpredictably.  Also, as the irregular shape tumbles, it vibrates the air around it, causing sound waves.  It’s quite a high frequency because the projectile is quickly spinning.  You might have heard a buzzing or whizzing sound during your slinging adventures (?). 

As for taking advantage of back-spin, I think it’s highly unlikely with a sling.  Because the sling is such a variable weapon  (the pouch and cords could be at a different twist or the release angle could slightly off, etc), it would be hard to engineer a projectile or mechanism to achieve this effect consistently.    Cry

IP Logged

Nonkin_Monk
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!     Literaly

Lyman, UT
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 10:06pm

CURVEBALL!?! I thought we were slinging. Grin Just kidding. I guess i just jealus. Sad

Nonkin_Monk - Tis' a silly name.

IP Logged

Nonkin_Monk
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!     Literaly

Lyman, UT
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 10:18pm

I was chatting with my dad about his experience with throwing golfballs. He can get consistent backspin to "flatten" the parobolic flight path with a straight overhand release. This gives the same flight time but with a greater horizontal component and a smaller vertical component. This maximizes distance with golf balls, but doesn't come close to distances possible with a well thrown, football shaped stone spinning on its on its major axis.

Nonkin_Monk - Tis' a silly name.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 4:50am

any one on here who has read my stuff knows I love the spiral. but I have noticed that in a long cast I occasionaly
get a curve more like in bowling than a curve ball or like a Frisbee. I have not figured out how to make it happen consistently but it is pretty to watch and those shots seem to always come in on target.
has any body else noticed this. Better yet does any body have control over it.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:32am

I think nwmanitou has the backspin thing figured out.  Maybe look for posts by him.    LOTS! of other discussion of the magnus effect earlier on this forum.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 12:25pm

Ripcord,
Nice trebuchet effects. I had to sit and stare at that for a while. Fascinating machine. I know the rock rolls out of the pocket, and when I throw helicopter over head my palm is facing up on release, sometimes a certian shaped rock will travel very far at a flat projectory, much farther than normal round stones. I'm sure its the shape of the stone.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 6:54pm

This is an old post but on an interesting subject so....Slinging with controled spin can be done but it's quite tricky.  You need a rough rather than smooth pocket, the suede side of leather should be fine. The one I used to use was flexable, flat though a little cupped from use,  it was  reversable, one side was a very rough and strong  canvas, the other was the plastic side of leather cloth ( which was for casting single stones without spin or shingle ) Thinking back I suppose the double layer may have made it relativly heavier, no idea if this has anything to do with it.  Next you need a a releace cord which is a few inches longer than normal and which doesn't have a knot at the end..   Normal cotten string is works for this but as there is no endstop whip the end with sewing thread to stop fraying and to give you something to grip.  In a normal throw one simply lets go of the releace cord, when throwing for spin the idea is to relax the fingers and thumb a little so the string passes through with a bit of resitance.  This holds the projectile in the pocket just a bit longer and gives it spin.  I didn't use a finger loop so my grip on the retention cord was based on a figure of eight around my little and ring fingers, a knot on the outside of the fist between them and the cord returning to the inside of it through the same gap..   The index and middle fingers  held the cord against the thumb.  One also emphasises the whip or pull away part of the cast  more. The spin you get will depend on the throwing style, under arm gives top spin, over arm gives backspin and side arm gives side.  When loading for spin don't center the stone as normal but put it nearer the retention cord so as much pocket gets to roll it in passing as posable.  It's not unlike spining a top with a whip in some ways.  You loose a bit of power and you don't get much spin in return, or I didn't, maybe one or two yards out of forty.  I found well shaped but rough stones worked better than well shaped smooth stones, logical really, bad shaped stones do their own thing anyway.  You'll know if you're getting it right by the sound: a loud buzz will become as normal when spining as a crack when not..  A warning though, your accuracy will suffer at first, it's almost another style, and it's harder work for the hand.

I only got back into slinging last year and hadn't even thought about spining untill I saw this thread.  When I was doing it I used my all purpose sling and didn't  practice the style for a high percentage of time  so all the above may be wrong.  Except that it definately works.  Hum.....a bespoke spinners sling.....well....long gutter shaped stone hugging pocket....hum.....well that parts easy.... high traction?.....paint with latex?....maybe ....or would it be overkill?......probably....must be some better way of making the releace than just string....whipped all the way?...certainly works a bit....a tiny braid?..  ..might be better.but with what?......drat.....yet another project.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 8:26pm

I don't have a good way of throwing curve balls or slices, but I have the forespin and backspin down.  I found that when I cast sidearm from an underhand windup I get very consistent backspin that increases my range by quite a bit.  Inversely, casting sidearm from a figure 8 windup gives me drastic forespin that can bury rocks in the ground.  With a normal helicopter cast my spin is inconsistent, but tends to be in a horizontal rather than vertical direction.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:37am

Thanks cypher.  I've not used windups, except for very heavy rocks or long slings, so I'll try that.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Back spinners Indeed! Shocked The spiral is where it at geeze

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 10:05pm

I get spiral with my underhand wind up with a release that goes about 45° up and over my left shoulder (being right handed).  With my horrible rocks though, it's almost not worth bothering with any spin since their irregular shape throws them off course in unpredictable ways.  It's only when I spend a day or two collecting material from abroad that I get to enjoy the pleasure of controlled spin with casting.  I do enjoy the spiral a lot.  It looks like it would hurt, but I get better distance with the backspin.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 12:11pm

yep back spin works on a hard overhand throw. I find that a lot of stones thrown like this travel in a much straighter trajectory for longer than you would expect, due to the spin I impart at point of throw. It really is very noticeable.
Likewise a sidewise cast will cause a fair bit of curve in a stone.
It's mainly - in my case - down to the fact that the two strings are not exactly even length so the missile is spun more than normal on release.
But it certainly works and is definitely noticeable.

I don't necessarily get greater distance but I do get greater distance in a straight line with over hand.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)