Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finger rings and other gripers (Read 12859 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Finger rings and other gripers
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 5:22am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1060295173/0#13 date=1186662083]seat belts are a pretty solid strap - how do you get webbing from them ?[/quote]

I would have assumed that seat belts are much the same the world over but maybe not. The material I have is quite soft shiny synthetic of some kind, 47mm wide and approx. 1mm thick. The belts in my actual car are quite similar, thinner if anything.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 6:22am

still not an actual webbing though. Just a flat (I presume) nylon strap.
I got the impression that what was wanted was a wide grained net like webbing. could be wrong :-) 
Much like the polynesian stone bag that's depicted in another topic.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 6:45am

It appears that the problem is not what seatbelts are made from, but what is meat by the term "webbing". In Australian usage seat-belts, straps on backpacks, safety harnesses etc. and even thick material like slings for lifting loads in industrial situations is classed as webbing; strong flat material which will hold tight with clamp style buckles as in seat-belts.

A bit over a year ago, before I came up with the idea to use the old conveyor belt material, I got hold of some seat belt material with a view to making a pouch from it. It works fine if you want a flat pouch, but tends to fray unless the cut edges are seamed or sealed in some way. I think the pouches I currently make are better and the material does not fray.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:43am

C_A, the term nylon webbing refers to the nylon straps commonly used for seatbelts, bag straps, and everything else.

it confused me too for a while, until i saw a picture when someone was talking about webbing.

EDITED to add: aussie slinger beat me to the post button it seems Tongue

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 10:10am

I found this thread a little late I think, but I used a peice of the leather C_A sent me to make a guard for both my thumb and index finger. In essence I dont see why one couldnt attach the retention cord to the guard for the index finger.

Loki  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:01pm

I've got a sling from captain paul that has  a sliding leather finger ring - which gives you all the advantages of a sliding loop with the comfort of a soft leather ring.

Not sure there is a an advantage of a tab over a know for the release cord though. And yeah I've never had any problems with a sliding finger loop anyway - even with the 2 mm paracord. But then my index finger has had 25 years of occassionally heavy yo-yo ing to condition it.   

So do we know if it was flat webbing or netted webbing that was wanted - I've kind of lost track of who wanted what lol
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 6:10pm

I also don't quite remember who wanted it, or what for. But whoever it was, he, or she, (note avoidance of the grammatically absurd, non gender-specific, pluralised "they"), can usually get it for free from car body repairers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)