Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling it...beat it...eat it. (Read 20331 times)
archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Re: Sling it...beat it...eat it.
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2003 at 8:39pm

Chris, Where were you standing that you got hit with 1" diameter pellets!???!  ???   Grin 

Yeah, although never having tried it, I really can't imagine buckshot doing any real damage to anything.  Let me know if you get that squirrel though Brent.  I'd love to hear what affect it had.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2003 at 9:45pm

I could see buckshot stunning (maybe temporarily disabling) birds or small game like squirrels. 

As for getting hit with rocks... Let's just say I've had my fair share of sling battles.  We wrote up rules of engagement and slugged away at each other on a gravel path in a near by forest.  Fun fun fun, and also dangerous as hell.  It was like medieval paintball.  We wore bike helmets and safety glasses.  On a few occasions, a shot would completely shatter peoples safety glasses.  No one was ever hurt.  We were very very lucky.  We stopped before out luck ran out. 

Chris

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 12:23pm

As I'm bored and have currently got bugger all to repair or build and can't go out in case I miss the delivery man I'm going through some old posts.

We don't hear much from chris these days (or me for that matter lol) but check out his slinging game post just above this one.

The man is mad :-) bless him
I love the idea of exploding safety glasses, could this man be a member of jackass ?
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 12:46pm

C A,
You must be real bored, seeing the amount of posts you posted today!

How are you, except being bored?

And did you hunt anything (I know it shouldn't be in England but some people still do.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 2:14pm

I've never done any serious hunting with a sling, although I have slung in the directions of some animals to see how close I could get and to date, not a single one of them was fast enough to get out of the way until after the projectile was in the air, or had impacted the ground next to them. One bird, don't know the species, but looked to be somewhat meaty(!) actually didn't take off until after the rock passed right in front of it and threw up a shower of leaves. It was looking at me as I whirled the sling around and was staring at me when I released at it,and it was very close to me (a few yards, at most) but just stood there until the rock came almost on top of it, and then exploded off into the air. Some of the area starlings which insist on using our yard and trees as bathrooms don't take off until the tennis ball is right in the middle of them, and my cat used to take off when he see me whirl the sling around, but now that he knows I won't hurt/hunt him with it, he doesn't even flinch when the tennis balls start flying around the yard.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 2:38pm

The earliest sling in the European sector evolved in the Anatolia region of Turkey in the Neolithic age. However, it may have evolved earlier, into the Paleolithic age. It spread throughout the Grecian isles.
  it is interesting that the clay  biconal glandes evolves almost as soon as the sling does.. it is thought they were used by shepards to keep wayward sheep in the flock. ( Whack! Baaa!)  However, piles of them have also been found piled up outside caves, and inside in primative hearths.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 2:45pm

I wonder if a sheep's thick wool would be any form of protection against a shepherd's ceramic bullets tossed at it to get it back in the flock? I don't know. I'm on a computer at work right now working a split shift later on and I'm bored right now on my break so it's just a random thought that occured to me.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 3:01pm

well,

first;
a shepherd will not aim at the sheep itself, but in front of it, scaring it away from the impact in front of it.  if it hit the sheep, it would either run away at full gallop (what do you call it with sheep?) or die.

second;
have you ever felt a sheep's wool? (not meant as a derogatory comment, just a question)  if you ever have, you will most likely have felt how easily it falls flat against the skin when you push on it with your hand.  it is very easily compacted and would not offer any more protection that a down jacket you might wear, if that even.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 3:38pm

Yesterday when I was walking, I saw a flock of geese and had an overwhelming urge to just sling stones at them to see what would happen.
But I didnt have my sling.

Theyre lazy, unnmovable and brazen, they'd be easy targets.
Hmmm.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 4:34pm

i have had the same feeling about some turkeys that i used to pass everday after school.  but i was afraid of hitting one and killing it, and then having to do something with it.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 8:18pm

Well, you can eat a turkey, you don't want to eat the geese I thought about annihilating Tongue
Cook those turkeys for dinner! Wink

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 8:43pm

being highly innacurate, and noticing a squirrel on a tree while i had my sling with me...

I though... 'hmm...'

I had found the perfect rock and was saving it untill i was going to leave and use it last, but i couldnt pass it up. I took it out, wound up, and fired!

Smacks the squirrel in the butt, it goes flying off SPINNING! it look hillarious, just imagine a squirrel, all limbs spread, spinning like a helicopter blade Shocked

After that it got up and ran back up the tree Smiley

I searched but i could not find the magic stone sadly Cry

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #27 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 12:06pm

I say that we slingers hire ourselves out to the cities, as pigeon slayers. Think about it. We get all the practice we want, and the cities get rid of the rats with wings.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #28 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:05pm

Now, where do we put the carcasses?
Or do city raccoons eat carcass garbage too? Tongue

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:17pm

Pigeon is rather tasty!
But it might be hard to hit them is such way we can retrieve and use the critters.
If you slay them when in the air they are likely to fall on roofs or behind fences.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)